Anyone know how/if it's possible to transfer files over wifi to a Sony smart TV?

Options
Jon_01
Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Ok, so I've a Sony KD43XD8088 TV. I have it plugged into it an old WD Live TV box which I transfer files to over wifi.

The WD is showing it's age and sometimes needs 2 or 3 reboots before it'll play a file.
I've plugged a number of usb sticks and 2.5 inch hd's in the TV that I use on the WD and tried send the files to the drives over wifi using 'Wifi transfer' (as the drives don't show up over the network without) loaded on the TV. But every drive is reported as 'Not Writable' !

Can anyone suggest if this is possible and how to do it?

Thanks...

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Use a DNLA server on your PC e.g. Kodi/Serviio/Plex, surely mean to stream not transfer
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Jon_01
    Options
    Use a DNLA server on your PC e.g. Kodi/Serviio/Plex, surely mean to stream not transfer

No, I mean transfer to the attached usb device and play from there.

I'm checking the files for errors. If I stream and there's a glitch I don't know if it's the file that has a render problem or the stream has glitched. So I'd have to play it again and again...
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Jon_01
    Options

Thanks. But that's not the problem, I can get files to play from usb fine if I transfer them from the pc to the stick and then put the stick in the tv.

What I'm trying to do is get them onto the stick using wifi to the tv. That's how I get them to the WD live. It shows on the network and I just drop the file into the it's attached hd.

I have to go through 20 or 30 clips a day. I don't want to have to keep unplugging the stick from the tv...
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    I don't think the TV can do that unless you can sideload a FTP server or some such , I still think a DNLA server is the best bet, the wd live hub has a FTP/SMB server on it , how do you play files from that to the TV?
  • Jon_01
    Options
    I don't think the TV can do that unless you can sideload a FTP server or some such , I still think a DNLA server is the best bet, the wd live hub has a FTP/SMB server on it , how do you play files from that to the TV?

The WD has a 2 tb hd attached. It shows on the network and I just drag and drop files on to the hd and then play them from there.

I can get the TV to show the attached usb's if I run Wifi file transfer on it but every drive I've tried reports 'Drive not writable' even though, of course they all are!

The TV runs Android, surely there has to be a way to get any Android device to show as a network device and allow files to be sent to it over wifi????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure