10k - pay off student debt or save in some way?

Options

Comments

• Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    because no kind of debt is good.

Absolute rubbish. Ive got a fair amount of credit card debt. All of it is 0% and the money i owe is sitting in various accounts earning me about 3%

Ditto with mortgages, its a very cheap loan that if you're clever about it can be better off not overpaying & investing instead.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find the 'best type of debt' a bit oxymoronic because no kind of debt is good. The argument about not earning enough to pay back is flawed.
    Student loans in this country are not loans or treated as normal debt. We essentially have a graduate tax system with a lifetime cap but for some reason politicians don't like to call it that. However, the post-2012 loans have high enough interest rates that it is worth paying it off if you're sure you are going to "fully repay" them (i.e. hit the cap). Pre-2012 loans are probably not going to ever be worth paying off for most people unless (a) the interest rate goes above inflation, and (b) the interest rate somehow goes above standard mortgage rates.

Presumably people go to uni to earn more in their lifetime, so they would naturally earn more to pay it back.
    And they would naturally pay more income tax to pay it back regardless of student loans. :)

I take the view that uni is a choice, and a choice should be repaid. It's not up to the general taxpayer to pay for peoples tuition.

Is school a choice that people should pay for? The percentage of jobs that require degrees is far higher than it was in a few decades ago and it has gotten to the point where post-18 education should probably be considered part of normal schooling (either academic or vocational), IMO.
  • 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 May 2019 at 10:02AM
    Options
    You are entitled to your opinions, but most people would choose not to repay a debt that is going to be cancelled anyway. And in terms of self-interested financial advice, your comment is extremely unhelpful.

Depends on how you define that. If you can't afford to pay something back, then you shouldn't take it out in the first place. It's not unreasonable to ask why the general public should have to foot the bill out of their taxation for the 35% of student loans that is never repaid back to the Government, when that money could be put to other resources which we say need urgent help. University is a choice. In my opinion, if you choose to enrol in something then you should pay for it. No one is made to go to uni, it's not compulsory.

I was lucky enough to be able to do two degrees without a penny of loans. Had I been less fortunate, I wouldn't have gone. I wouldn't have wanted the debt of £50k around my neck (the idea of oh well it gets wiped and you don't pay back under a certain threshold is IMO a bad mentaility). I'm not even in a career path or job which uses the subject of my two degrees, and I've ended up doing an in work apprenticeship in a completely different field. I wish I'd gone to work at 18, not 23. My friends from school who went straight to work are in much better positions than me (working longer, better pay, have houses etc.) I feel further behind from going to uni than my friends who didn't go.

The whole point of going to uni is to increase your career and job finding prospectus, A.K.A to earn more money. The idea of going, and keeping yourself in a lower paid job, in order to not pay it back is self-defeatist as you're keeping yourself on a lower income so you're not better off. It's also a question of moraility, paying back the system (essentially taxpayer) who enabled you to get to uni, have that experience and get the qualification you wanted without whom you couldn't have gone is to me the right thing to do.

On the mortgage point, it's still not a 'good debt,' miss a few months and your house can be reposssed and most people will pay tens, if not into the hundreds, of thousands in interest over a term. Debt is debt, most people need it, but it doesn't make it good. It's a liability from the customer point of view. I can't be criticised for taking a sensible viewpoint of debt and loans, and thinking it's good to clear them ASAP.

This is a general response to the comments as I'm not replying to each one separately to say essentially the same thing. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, it's a democracy, but I expect people to recognise what I say as valid points just as much as I recognise the validity of the comments above and I see what people are saying. I just don't agree with it morally. Happy to talk in PM if anyone wishes to discuss but I'm not going to keep replying here as it's going off topic.
  • 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    Zero_Sum wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. Ive got a fair amount of credit card debt. All of it is 0% and the money i owe is sitting in various accounts earning me about 3%

Ditto with mortgages, its a very cheap loan that if you're clever about it can be better off not overpaying & investing instead.

If your credit card is 0% and you have debt, and you're saving at 3% to pay it off, then that's not really relatable here as you're not paying any interest and it's not costing you. What about the people who have cards soaring up to 70% interest (credit card debt is at an all time high) and have no savings. I repay my credit cards in full every month, it's the best way (if you can).

I personally wouldn't invest while having a mortgage, provided you even have spare money to invest when paying a mortgage on low income. I'd want that liability repaid and then have money spare to do as I like. But each to their own. You're clearly in a more privileged position. It's not rubbish to those who aren't, who are the majority.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The whole point of going to uni is to increase your career and job finding prospectus, A.K.A to earn more money.

Absolute nonsense! You have just demonstrated that not one word you say is worth anyone's attention.

The whole point of going to university is to become an educated person, and thus a better citizen and able to lead a more enriching life and contribute more to the lives of others. In many cases that leads to lower life-time earnings.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Exactly What is your student loan rate? The highest was over 6%, now 5.4%. Still high. What do you/will you earn? If you will only earn a low amount, dont pay it off- you might get it waved in 30 years. If you will have to pay it all, paying off early makes sense depending on the rate.

I wont even touch the nonsense above.
  • webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd definitely clear the debt if it was me which would then free me up to save as much money as possible without the thought of a debt needing repaying.
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,798 Forumite
    Options
    If you can't afford to pay something back, then you shouldn't take it out in the first place.

Very few people borrow with no intention of not paying back their debts, and this situation is no different. Surely a degree teaches critical thinking, and you would then be aware that circumstances change; ill health, for example

I was lucky enough to be able to do two degrees without a penny of loans.

So basically you want to deny others what you had, even if you feel you didn't benefit from it.

The whole point of going to uni is to increase your career and job finding prospectus, A.K.A to earn more money.

We'll have to disagree on that one. A university is education not training; you can do specific courses for the latter. University is about expanding ideas, not just learning how to program C++.

The poor productivity we have as a nation won't be solved by a less educated work force. The flexibility we'll need in our careers won't be based on a narrow remit of study at university. I can assure you that my Modern History degree never had a _direct_ connection with my career.

There is an issue in expecting degrees for lower and lower job levels and then expecting increasing repayment as well. You may also have noticed that there is no correlation between pay and the benefit to society. Ask pretty well anyone on their opinion on nurses as against stockbrokers or estate agents! Apart from the US we have some of the most expensive costs around, but other countries accept that there is a social benefit to education.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    If your credit card is 0% and you have debt, and you're saving at 3% to pay it off, then that's not really relatable here as you're not paying any interest and it's not costing you. What about the people who have cards soaring up to 70% interest (credit card debt is at an all time high) and have no savings. I repay my credit cards in full every month, it's the best way (if you can).

I personally wouldn't invest while having a mortgage, provided you even have spare money to invest when paying a mortgage on low income. I'd want that liability repaid and then have money spare to do as I like. But each to their own. You're clearly in a more privileged position. It's not rubbish to those who aren't, who are the majority.

You said that no kind of debt is good, and now you've just back tracked & admitted im correct. You've also kind of missed my point with credit cards also in that im not 'saving' to pay it off. Ive got the money to pay it off because ive only spent money i had in the 1st place but instead of giving it back to credit card company i give it to someone else who will pay me. Ill then give it back to credit card company when they start charging for it.

Its nothing to do with being privileged, its just managing what you have to maximum efficiency. And anyone can do it.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Terry_Towelling Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Options

The point being made about investing when you have a mortgage is all to do with spare cash you have available. If you don't have the spare cash, you can't do it - that is obvious. If you do have the spare cash, should you overpay the mortgage with it or save/invest it?

There is no right or wrong answer to that but the idea is your investment should (over the longer term) give you a greater return than the interest you would have saved had you overpaid the mortgage instead.

There is a risk to this investment approach because the value of your investment can go down, but that isn't necessarily the end of the world depending on your other circumstances and when/whether you actually choose to use your investment to clear the mortgage.

If you want an up-front quantifiable value to the amount you will save by using your spare cash then overpaying the mortgage will get you closer to that - but you will no longer have immediate and direct access to the money once it's been thrown at the mortgage. The investment/savings route for your spare cash at least means you retain access to it in case you need it for something else - such as paying the mortgage because you've lost your job.

The subject of debt/borrowing and how it can be used/abused is multi-faceted and there are many standpoints from which to view it. You have chosen your viewpoint for now but in time it will probably shift (I know mine has - quite a bit of it from reading other people's views/strategies/tactics/experiences on this forum).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure