IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ZZPS debt collection notices

Options
Cristina_M
Cristina_M Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 10 May 2019 at 11:06AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Dear all,

I have read the newbies thread and I have been reading about this for weeks now and it still seems a confusing mine-field. After days and days or research I am still confused and I still can't find one post relevant to my case, which is why I've decided to write a new one.

I will try to keep it short:

I am using the Indigo (now Saba) car park at Luton Airport Parkway for my commute in London everyday. I use their app to pay for my weekly ticket. By mistake, I selected the wrong VRN from the list in my app and, although, I paid for parking, it was for the wrong vehicle. I didn't notice it (I would have rectified it) until I started receiving letters from ZZPS.

1. 44 days after the "offence" I received via post debt collection notices from ZZPS,. As it was the ONLY correspondence I ever had until then, I stupidly and immediately rang ZZPS to explain in the hope they will understand. I was told I was over the period to make an appeal and as such I was expected to pay promptly. I advised I will not pay and hung up!

2. 3 days later, I received a further letters from the same ZZPS: "penalty notice by post, penalty to owner", dated the day I rang them to acknowledge receipt of the debt collection notices, giving me the option to pay a reduced £60 within 14 days.

3. A day later I made an appeal as suggested in the letters explaining the mistake and that the car park did not suffer any financial loss whatsoever (I have proof that the vehicle I wrongly purchased the parking ticket for is off the road since June 2018 therefore it wouldn't have entered the car park, which I am sure they can also see on their ANPR) and it was a genuine mistake. As expected, a rejection email was received on the 14th day since submitting the appeal.

Stupidly, as the signature in my email has my full name and it is different to the name they had as registered keeper, an email came back from them on the asking if I was the driver. I wish I had read all the threads before I decided to reply, honestly and in good faith, that I was the driver and my father is the registered keeper. However, I must mention that all the correspondence received since me confirming that, kept coming in my father's name, the registered keeper.

But as I have been reading lately, I believe I was meant to receive a rejection letter along with the options to either pay or appeal further through POPLA and guiding me through the process.. That never happened.

However:

4. I received a further 3 letters, (not sure what happened to the 4th one), addressed to the RK, all 3 are debt collection notices.

Now, as much as I am aware that there has been some sort of breach in their CofP, I cannot put them all together as all the terminology also confuses me.

I should probably mention that I have been a customer of this car park for years, purchasing weekly parking tickets, so I am a genuine customer.

I am not looking to pay for any of these out of principle considering that the car park did not suffer any financial loss. I did pay for it, I just had a bad day and selected the wrong vehicle from the list. I also have proof of purchase for the period.

I would really appreciate your help on this matter as I am utterly lost and I am not sure how to treat this further.

Thank you in advance for all your valuable help!

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 May 2019 at 2:09PM
    Options
    post #4 of the NEWBIES sticky thread tells you this

IGNORE DEBT COLLECTOR LETTERS

this includes ZZPS , as welll as DRPL and ZENITH

its that simple - IGNORE

come back if or when you receive a formal LoC and/or an MCOL in the post

acronyms are in post #5 of that NEWBIES thread

until the LoC or the MCOL arrive , you cannot change matters unless you paid their demands in full (which you havent and wont)

so you are at the IMPASSE stage, neither side giving in

SABA have 6 years to try a court case in civil court, using MCOL

I assume that this isnt a railway station using bylaws ? if it is , then its slightly different but IGNORING zzps still applies. the reason I mention this is because you said the word PENALTY and not PARKING charge notices

just file their paperwork in a folder, along with anything else, await an LoC or an MCOL

read this too as it explains a lot of the details in these cases

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5998647/saba-indigo-appeal-successful

ps:- reading your post again, it appears that it is NOT YOU that is receiving the letters, it is your father, in which case this has nothing to do with you as the paperwork is in his name, so any court cases would involve him , not you

if this is a railway station using bylaws , then POPLA was never an option

and stop telephoning these people, it wont do any good whatsoever, phoning up has never helped anyone and usually leads to anxiety and frustration
  • Cristina_M
    Options
    Much appreciated!

All the letters are clearly marked as PENALTY notices in red capital letters and, yes, it clearly mentions a breach of Byelaw 14, which I have read about.

I will re-re-read the threads.

Many thanks!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    in that case it seems that the 6 month rule applies due to bylaws , see the explanations in that link I gave you, bearing in mind that POPLA was never an option on the table

read all the other INDIGO SABA posts and threads over the last 6 to 12 months until it becomes clearer
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Easy one to ignore and all over in 6 months.

Search the forum for:

INDIGO SABA IGNORE

and

INDIGO RAILWAY PENALTY 6 MONTHS
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    They are obviously trying to scam you so complain to your MP.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Cristina_M
    Options
    I will, definitely! These bullies must stop! It creates so much stress, it' simply unbelievable. I wasn't aware of this brutal conduct until now...

Many thanks for your advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family