John Lewis iPhone Added Care

Options
Hello, long time user of the site, but first time posting here.

I purchased an iPhone 8 plus back in October 2017 along with a 24 month added care policy, which would cover the phone in the event of accidental damage, this would cover repairs or a replacement if repair was not possible.

The policy as advertised in store by staff and on the web site advertised a new for old policy covering the phone if repair was not possible. (I wanted to provide a link or image below from the website, but as this was my first post I'm unable to, so have provided a quote)

"New for old replacement

If we can’t repair your appliance, we’ll arrange for it to be replaced with one of the same make and model up to original purchase price. Or, when not available, one of a similar specification."

Unfortunately earlier this month I had an accident with the phone, it was sent off for repair, but after several days I received a phone call informing me repair would not be possible and a refurbished device would be issued.

I went on to ask why this wouldn't be a new replacement, and was told that terms and conditions do state a refurbished device may be provided.

While I then went to read the terms and conditions in detail, I found it was indeed the case that a refurbished phone could be provided, still I feel as though I have been mislead as a customer with how the policy was framed/advertised.

The next action I decided to take was contacting the insurer The Warranty Group as well as John Lewis, sadly this did not end well, as they would fall back on the terms and conditions.

I then found out one important piece of information through this, according to both parties, if the repair agent can't repair your phone, but hypothetically could, (for example, the repair agent needs a replacement part, but is unable to source said part) then a refurbished phone will be provided, which counts as the device being repaired.

I was simply gobsmacked that this could be the case, if so, I can't imagine any likely scenario where this new for old would ever be honored, how could it, as long as refurbished devices can be acquired then John Lewis will never have to honor this promise.

I did ask if either of them could provide details on when this promise could or has been honored, but they refused to comment, I'm now left in a situation where I've exhausted all possible options with John Lewis and The Warranty Group.

So I'm writing here to ask for advice on what steps could be taken next or if in fact you do believe I have a case here? I know concerning the insurance I could present the case to the financial ombudsman, but I feel if the core of the issue here is with how the policy was advertised, perhaps pursing John Lewis through the small claims court would be the best case of action?

Apologies for the quite lengthy post, I just wanted to make sure everything was covered, hopefully with your help I can find a solution or at the very least, those considering the purchase of John Lewis added care in the future will be fully informed.

Thank You.

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apple replace with refurbished items too. I've got a refurbished iPod classic I received from Apple when the original died after a couple of months - it looked like new and is still working fine a decade later.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have had my iPad replaced twice by Apple, the first after a fault, the second like you after an accident (which I unfortunately had to pay for) in both cases the refurbished product I got back was in mint condition and could not be distinguished from a new one.

I believe the replacement you get will come from Apple so it won’t be something that has previously been damaged as they don’t repair physically damaged products. An Apple repair consists of moving your apps and content onto replacement hardware.
  • Fabthegnome
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, I'm certain the offered refurbishment would be serviceable, but the issue for myself is, I never would have taken out the policy to begin with if John Lewis had not made false promises in how the policy is advertised.

It's more on principle then anything else I've decided to pursue the case further, I just think it's wrong to sucker people in like this is all.
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, I'm certain the offered refurbishment would be serviceable, but the issue for myself is, I never would have taken out the policy to begin with if John Lewis had not made false promises in how the policy is advertised.

It's more on principle then anything else I've decided to pursue the case further, I just think it's wrong to sucker people in like this is all.

How? Your contract say they can issue a refurbished item, maybe you should have read it in 2017 and not when you needed to claim.
  • Fabthegnome
    Options
    a.turner wrote: »
    How? Your contract say they can issue a refurbished item, maybe you should have read it in 2017 and not when you needed to claim.

If you go to the John Lewis added care section on the website, you'll see "New for old" in bold lettering, there's no mention of a refurbished device until you read through to section 5 of the T&C, and there was certainly no mention of the latter when I discussed the policy at length in store with staff.

I admit, you can make the point I'm being fussy, and it's more trouble than it's worth or even that I should have paid closer attention to the small print.

But I hope you can at least appreciate, how the policy is framed on the website... it's a little bit misleading, no?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    https://www.johnlewis.com/our-services/added-care#mobile
    Accidental damage
    If your phone is damaged accidentally, Added Care means you won’t have to pay for repairs.

New for old replacement
    If we can’t repair your appliance, we’ll arrange for it to be replaced with one of the same make and model up to original purchase price. Or, when not available, one of a similar specification.

No excess
    If your appliance is accidentally damaged and you need to make a claim there are no excess charges to pay, saving you from claiming on your home or travel insurance policies.

Worldwide cover
    Your appliance is covered for accidental damage outside the UK for a total of up to 30 days within any 12-month period.

Collection or at-home repairs
    We’ll either collect it by courier for repair or arrange a call-out by one of our technicians.

And then a link to T&Cs. I agree with the OP - the headlines state New For Old, so any clarifications in the T&Cs which contradict this make the headline misleading.
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If you go to the John Lewis added care section on the website, you'll see "New for old" in bold lettering, there's no mention of a refurbished device until you read through to section 5 of the T&C, and there was certainly no mention of the latter when I discussed the policy at length in store with staff.

I admit, you can make the point I'm being fussy, and it's more trouble than it's worth or even that I should have paid closer attention to the small print.

But I hope you can at least appreciate, how the policy is framed on the website... it's a little bit misleading, no?

Where we replace your Mobile phone, we may use “Grade A” refurbished (not brand new mobile phones). If you receive a refurbished mobile phone from us, this Policy will cover breakdown claims whilst your Policy is active.

You know what they say about the small print.
  • Fabthegnome
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the link DoaM, it was frustrating not being able to share it myself.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    a.turner wrote: »
    You know what they say about the small print.

If the small print contradicts the headline then it is misleading. (Falls foul of Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regs?) Not sure what the OP can do about it though.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since you purchased from JL, you already had a 2 year warranty that covered everything bar accidental damage or theft. These might have been insured, or insurable, under your existing household contents policy at a much lower cost than buying this add on cover.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure