Amazon Issue

Hi all,

Just after an opinion of my rights regarding fraudulent activity on my amazon account.

Somehow someone managed to place an order for digital xbox credit on my account along with some small items, i picked this up instantly, changed my log in password for both amazon and gmail and alerted amazon, a few hours later i received an email from amazon confirming that the orders were fraudulent and they were going to cancel them, roll on 3 days later and the small items have arrived and i have been charged for them via my bank account, this was easily resolved with the bank and i was refunded, amazon advised that they wouldn't refund so had to do a charge back.

However the digital xbox credit used a £50 gift card that i had on my account, amazon have now said they are not going to refund this as its against their terms and conditions and they don't offer refunds on digital credit, is there anything i can do to claw this balance back as i seem to have hit a wall with amazon and only get a bog standard generic email every time i contact them.

Thanks
:beer:

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Has this been reported to the police or action fraud
  • Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Its been reported to action fraud via the online form, i have a crime reference number
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post
    Kingsd316 wrote: »
    Its been reported to action fraud via the online form, i have a crime reference number

The problem you may find with amazon is you don't, you've a reference number not a crime number.
  • Kingsd316
    a.turner wrote: »
    The problem you may find with amazon is you don't, you've a reference number not a crime number.

To be honest the crime reference number should not be relevant, amazon have emailed me acknowledging the fact that it was not an authorised purchase:

We believe that an unauthorized party may have accessed your account. To protect your information, we have:

-- Disabled the password to your account.
    -- Reversed any modifications made by this party.
    -- Canceled any pending orders. You can ignore any confirmation emails that you received for these orders.
    -- If appropriate, refunded purchases to your payment instrument. However, we recommend you to review all recent activity on your payment methods and report any unauthorized charges to your financial institution.
    -- Restored any gift card balance that may have been used. It may take 2 to 3 days for the gift card balance to be available in your account.

Its now been over 2 weeks and they still haven't refunded the gift car.

Also this is stated on the action fraud website:

When you report to us you will receive a police crime reference number.
  • sebloak
    sebloak Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Just out of curiosity, is the unauthorized access to your account via amazon.de?

I am currently going through a similar situation, but my bank is no help at all. All I can suggest is keep on at Amazon for the credit refund, use the online help chat thingy and let them know you've already have a collection of generic emails from them saying the same thing, and keep a transcription

Good luck
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    To be honest the crime reference number should not be relevant, amazon have emailed me acknowledging the fact that it was not an authorised purchase:

We believe that an unauthorized party may have accessed your account. To protect your information, we have:

-- Disabled the password to your account.
    -- Reversed any modifications made by this party.
    -- Canceled any pending orders. You can ignore any confirmation emails that you received for these orders.
    -- If appropriate, refunded purchases to your payment instrument. However, we recommend you to review all recent activity on your payment methods and report any unauthorized charges to your financial institution.
    -- Restored any gift card balance that may have been used. It may take 2 to 3 days for the gift card balance to be available in your account.

Its now been over 2 weeks and they still haven't refunded the gift car.

Also this is stated on the action fraud website:

When you report to us you will receive a police crime reference number.
    Then contact them again and remind them of this.
  • Kingsd316
    sebloak wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is the unauthorized access to your account via amazon.de?

I am currently going through a similar situation, but my bank is no help at all. All I can suggest is keep on at Amazon for the credit refund, use the online help chat thingy and let them know you've already have a collection of generic emails from them saying the same thing, and keep a transcription

Good luck

No amazon UK, I contacted them about 5 times via chat and spoken to them twice, just get the same email back a few hours later.
    When chatting they are adamant that they do not refund digital code purchases as per their terms and conditions but surely they cant be enforced when it was a fraudulent transaction
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Seems odd that the fraudster went to the bother of adding 'small items' and getting them delivered to you.

And you are saying that Amazon didn't refund these small items either and you had to approach your bank? What was their reason not to refund? You did return the goods?

Could this have been someone 'close to home'?
  • Kingsd316
    Defiantly not closer to home, i presume they ordered things to my address to avoid suspicion of adding an xbox gift card, they also went to the trouble of ordering a happy birthday gift card sleeve to make it seem legit, no idea why amazon didnt refund, this is another section from the email:

We recommend that you review all recent activity on this card and report any unauthorized charges to your financial institution. As the refund will not be issued by Amazon, your financial institution will send you forms to formally dispute the unauthorized charges. The applicable merchants will be notified and charged back, and your account will be credited.

For your security, the credit card information stored on your Amazon.co.uk account cannot be accessed via our website and your full credit card number is not displayed in your account.

I had to go via the bank to sort it
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I had to go via the bank to sort it

Unfortunately that could mean your Amazon account gets closed, it's happened to others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure