Thank you!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Debtfreestudentnurse,

You mis-understand the situation, this is from Lowells website :

who are lowell?

"As a market leader debt purchaser for over ten years, we’re renowned for our great customer experience that gets you exactly where you want to be. Many people struggle to pay a bill, your original debt may have been with another company, we have purchased your debt from them and now are the legal owners of the debt".

Lowell are a major player in the debt purchasing market, thats all they do, in order for your accounts to be sold to lowell, they must have been defaulted by the original creditor.

Lowell are not a debt collection agency, they are a debt purchasor, they work under the banners of "Lowell portfolio 1 ltd", "Lowell Solicitors Ltd" and "Fredrickson International Ltd".

Lowell will not default your accounts as they must already be defaulted, therefore they cannot default twice, you should make a SAR request to the original creditor which will show you the papertrail of events.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Debtfreestudentnurse
    Options
    Thank you....how do I find out when the account defaulted? There is no mention of the account defaulting on any of the credit files :/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Contact the original lender.

As already advised several times in this thread
  • sourcrates
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    you should make a SAR request to the original creditor which will show you the papertrail of events.
    Thank you....how do I find out when the account defaulted? There is no mention of the account defaulting on any of the credit files :/

SAR- Subject Accress Request under the data protection act.

ICO website has a template letter you can use.

SAR`s are now free.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Debtfreestudentnurse
    Options
    Any need for the attitude??

As I’ve previously said, the account isn’t saying it’s gone into default unlike my husbands Lowell account shows.

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/Raachel82/library/
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Options
    Any need for the attitude??
    Don't worry about Gary. If it's any consolation, he's apparently great at parties. ;)

Back on topic, you submit the Subject Access Request (SAR) to the original lender. From the SAR you will get the data that the original lenders held on you, specifically when and if they defaulted you. If they never defaulted you, then you would need to request that they do so, backdated to when you were 3-6 months in arrears. :)

Out of interest, what type of account was it originally? A loan, credit card, or....???
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Debtfreestudentnurse
    Options
    One account was a credit card, the other was a Studio account (mail order).
    Thank you for the info. I’ve never challenged anything on my file so it’s a bit daunting.
  • Warwick65
    Options
    Just as an aside, I think Lowell now have permissions so they can hold non defaulted debts. However, it would be much better to get the account defaulted then 6 years on it will vanish.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Warwick65 wrote: »
    Just as an aside, I think Lowell now have permissions so they can hold non defaulted debts. However, it would be much better to get the account defaulted then 6 years on it will vanish.

I must admit I have seen this on more than one occasion recently, but cannot get a definitive response from the ministry of justice or the financial conduct authority as to which legislation they are purchasing these non default accounts under.

Creditors have always been free to sell on accounts at their own discretion, but rarely use that option unless the account defaults, could be Lowell have seen a gap in the market whereby they can purchase non defaulted accounts and still charge interest on them, except it states on their website they don’t add fees or interest.

All quite confusing really, especially for the debtor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure