We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cordless lawn mowers?

AnotherJoe
AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
Pretty much decided to get one now after the last "incident" with a cord, now in several pieces, now the Q is, which brand? So many to choose from.
My current bosch rotak (corded) has been generally good, so thats a possibility, also looking at gtech, which is a bit pricey. Especially if i need to get a second battery. But good reviews.

Then theres brands i havent heard of before such as gardenworks which seem to get good amazon reviews.
Any experiences and do you find you need a second battery? My lawn (front and back added) is roughly 1100 sq ft (130sq meters as estimated by paces)

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you thought about getting a petrol?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Buy a new cord for the mower you have
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Sky_
    Sky_ Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    We bought a Lidl one several years ago--it was much cheaper than any other and we're very pleased with it. The only downside is that it is quite small/narrow, so it takes 2-3 charges to cut our 300sq m lawn. Each charge takes 15-20 minutes, so it slows down lawn cutting time somewhat.

The upside of it being small is that it's also very light and I (small female) can manouvre it very easily and safely with one hand.

We haven't felt the need for a second battery, I just have a break or do something else whilst the battery charges.
    2022. 2% MF challenge. £730/3000
  • AnotherJoe
    Have you thought about getting a petrol?

Not even under consideration. Noisy, smelly, polluting.
  • AnotherJoe
    Sky_ wrote: »
    We bought a Lidl one several years ago--it was much cheaper than any other and we're very pleased with it. The only downside is that it is quite small/narrow, so it takes 2-3 charges to cut our 300sq m lawn. Each charge takes 15-20 minutes, so it slows down lawn cutting time somewhat.

The upside of it being small is that it's also very light and I (small female) can manouvre it very easily and safely with one hand.

We haven't felt the need for a second battery, I just have a break or do something else whilst the battery charges.

Thanks. Seems a bit of a faff I like to get it done in one hit. Trouble with LIDL is you never know what theyve got in stock. Funny shop, you go in to buy some yoghurt and come out with a bench circular saw, a pair of exercise tights and a loft ladder.
  • AnotherJoe
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Buy a new cord for the mower you have

Was a thought but I decided I was fed up with evading the cord whilst mowing (or not evading sometimes) plus finding the extension lead, plus the roller at the back keeps falling off so what the heck decided to splurge. Definitely not money saving I agree.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 April 2019 at 9:43PM
    We have the gtech and Mr S is very pleased with it. Our lawns are a similar size to yours, and one battery charge is more than ample.

Keep an eye on QVC - they sometimes do good deals on gtech products.

ADD
    Ouch. Just googled the gtech website and the new, bigger model is £499, and the smaller one (the one we have) is £399. We bought ours direct from gtech last year when they were on special offer for something like £299.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Not even under consideration. Noisy, smelly, polluting.

Do you drive a car?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • AnotherJoe
    Do you drive a car?

Yep. A Kia Soul EV

:rotfl:
  • AnotherJoe
    We have the gtech and Mr S is very pleased with it. Our lawns are a similar size to yours, and one battery charge is more than ample.

Keep an eye on QVC - they sometimes do good deals on gtech products.

ADD
    Ouch. Just googled the gtech website and the new, bigger model is £499, and the smaller one (the one we have) is £399. We bought ours direct from gtech last year when they were on special offer for something like £299.

Yes Ive got a few other gtech products and they do occasionally have deals which are worthwhile. I've narrowed it down to the Bosch or the Gtech. Both £400 (No, Bosch and Gtech, I am not fooled that £399.99 is really £300 rather than £400 ). A Gtech deal at £300 would sway it for me .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure