Ambulance Chasing Calls

Options
Jakg
Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Recently involved in a non-fault accident, my car is booked in for a repair.

I'm used to the speculative "have you been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault" calls, but this is something new.

Got a call from 07858 826 406 calling from a generic company name asking why "I hadn't made a claim" for some third category of compensation. They had details of the date of the accident, and my cars registration number, and that a hire car was booked. When pushed on where they got my details from, they hung up.

Got another call today from 07858 826 382 from "Simply Solutions", this time they got my details from the "motor insurance bureau". When pushed, they hung up again.

Both numbers are nearly sequential, both go to GiffGaff voicemail when called back.

The only people that have my number are my insurance company, the third parties, the repairer and the hire company.

Someone's clearly sold my details on - but I'm sure no-ones going to own up to it.
Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hire companies often sell them on.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had similar, plus one telling outright porkies about what I could claim. It goes on for months unless you block the numbers as they each try.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5894305&highlight=ambulance
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went through a period of getting lots of those type of calls and I was never involved in any accident.

They'd ring up and say "We're calling about the accident you were involved in"

I'd play along for a while and when they asked about the accident I would ask them how they knew, as I hadn't told anyone.

Then I would start to describe it.
    " Well I was on my way home and it was late, very dark out on the road and a bit wet, when suddenly I felt something, like a big loud rip"

" I didn't quite know at first, I was certain it was a fart, but it turned out some poo came out as well, how much can I claim for that?"

Never had one stay on the line after that!
  • Jakg
    Options
    Goudy wrote: »
    I went through a period of getting lots of those type of calls and I was never involved in any accident.
    Jakg wrote: »
    I'm used to the speculative "have you been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault" calls, but this is something new.
    [...]
    They had details of the date of the accident, and my cars registration number, and that a hire car was booked.

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I had an at fault accident last year and have been plagued by these people. I believe the accident details are shared by the insurer
  • Jakg
    Options
    Another call!

This time played along to see where it went... as soon as I asked for the address of the company, they hung up.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When you get the next call from a similar number, answer it with "Hello, <Local Police Force Name> Insurance Fraud Division. How can I help you?". :D
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A couple of times I've played along with them, see how long I can keep them on the line for. When they get to the part about asking how badly you were injured in the accident, I usually say "Very badly. In fact I was killed. Luckily I'm a Buddhist and got reincarnated". For some reason they usually hang up at this point and spoil my fun :-(
  • Jakg
    Options
    Another call. They have the address the hire car was dropped off to. I'm guessing it was someone at the hire company who's sold on my details.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure