PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Periodic Tenancy Rent Increase Forcing To Sign Another AST

Options
Hi there,

We had a 6 month AST that expired 2 years ago and have been on a periodic tenancy since then.

The agent has told us that we have a 5% increase in rent from May 2019 and have told us they want us to sign a new AST.

We don't want to move off the Periodic Tenancy for now but we are worried that we will be given notice if we don't re-sign even if we agree to the increased rent.

Any advice at all on where we stand would be most welcome.

Thank you

Daphne
I wish I knew more than I do!! :)

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    * Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?
  • G_M
    Options
    daphnemoon wrote: »
    The agent has told us that we have a 5% increase in rent from May 2019
    'told you' how....?
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and links, unfortunately I cannot find an answer to my specific question within either link.

"told you" - let us know via email.

My question is, can we be forced to sign a AST with the rental increase or can we agree the new rent and remain on a Periodic Tenancy.

Thank you
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The second link, section D(2) Explains a section 13 form should have been issued to you, but I’m assuming it wasn’t, and they wish to increase it by mutual consent.

You could contact the agent, and ask if one of these is in the post, as you haven’t yet received it. They cannot force you to sign a new AST, but if you are not willing to sign a new one, they technically could commence eviction proceedings.

You can also explain that you are happy to agree to the rent increase by mutual consent, but will not be signing a new AST.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A tenant ASKING for an s13 notice is not doing themselves any favours.

Landlord simple emailing increase can happily be ignored. Email notice has no effect.
  • G_M
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and links, unfortunately I cannot find an answer to my specific question within either link.

My question is, can we be forced to sign a AST with the rental increase or can we agree the new rent and remain on a Periodic Tenancy.

Thank you
    Both questions are dealt with in the links. The links are deliberately detailed and provided so that a full explanation can be given without endless repetition.

But in short:
    * No, and
    * Yes (though a periodic tenancy can be easily ended if the LL so chooses).
  • daphnemoon
    Options
    Thank you for the clear answer.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

"told you" - let us know via email.

My question is, can we be forced to sign a AST with the rental increase - no, noone can legally force you to sign anything, increase or no increase. Do you really need a link to tell you that? or can we agree the new rent and remain on a Periodic Tenancy. - yes, either by mutual agreement and you just start paying the new amount, or by the LL serving a section 13 notice.

Thank you

You can just verbally agree to increase the rent and start paying that. Alternatively, the LL can serve a Section 13 notice of the increase. If you disagree you can take it to tribunal and the LL can't increase more than every 12 months. A fixed term isnt' necessary, but of course a (illogical) LL can choose to serve notice if they want a fixed term and you refuse.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    saajan_12 wrote: »
    You can just verbally agree to increase the rent and start paying that. .......
    You don't even have to verbally agree: If tenant starts paying notified increased rent then that's it, agreed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure