We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Carpet or wood in lounge?

Options
We will be decorating the whole of the downstairs of our house soon and I am in two minds about what type of flooring to get in the lounge.

For the hallway I was thinking of getting a wooden flooring through the hall and into the adjoining small downstairs loo. The hallway then goes into the lounge. The door to the kitchen is also from the lounge.

I am torn between having the wooden floor put into the lounge aswell, or getting a carpet in.

Carpet is more comfortable, but harder to keep clean. We have patio doors going into the garden from the lounge too so regularly come in/out of the garden into the lounge (both us and the dog). I also think carpet provides a bit more soundproofing? (we are semi-detached)

Obviously wooden flooring is easier to keep clean, but would it make the room more noisy? We sometimes stay up late watching films etc on weekends and don't want to disturb the neighbours. I am also thinking the dogs claws constantly tapping on the floor would become irritating!

What would you guys do?

Comments

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    We've got hard flooring downstairs, carpet up, mainly because of the dogs but it's your house, what do YOU want?
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,092 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have textured vinyl that looks exactly like wood planks, but is warm underfoot. The dog's paws don't slip (they do on my Mum's laminate floor!) and there is virtually no noise from their claws. It can be vacuumed, mopped, steam-cleaned and scrubbed. The latest thing seems to be LVT - luxury vinyl tile, which is similar to laminate but is waterproof. The "luxury" in the name is reflected in the higher price.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carpet for me.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've got hard flooring in my dining room and lounge and during the winter in the latter I put down a large rug to make it cosier and warmer underfoot. In the heat of summer the lounge is lovely and cool when I remove the rug,

If you want a change it's easier to get a new rug, which I'm considering myself as the current one is a rather tired hand-me-down. The hard flooring underneath also needs replacing after mistreatment by a tenant and I'd hope to relay with wood, engineered or otherwise.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had wooded floors with large rungs for about 15 years now. I have good insulation underneath. Apart from being very clean I have heavy furniture items on felt pads and pulling them around to clean behind and decorate is a doddle.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Same here, wood floors downstairs which I've had for around 15 years and carpet upstairs, with a couple of rugs/runners scattered around. The wood floors are comfortably warm underfoot during the winter and easy to keep clean. The only slight issue I find is that if you're not in a habit of moving your furniture around and especially the rugs, and who is, then you will get patches of floor where they've aged unevenly due to sun light. I suppose you have to expect this with a natural product.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,977 Forumite
    Options
    As I redecorate each room in my home I'm converting to engineered wood, except the kitchen (slate) and bathroom (porcelain tiles). The lounge is currently still carpet, but will not remain so forever.

I do not find wood cold to walk on, and I put UFH under the slate when I installed it. The porcelain is though.

Will be very happy when there is no more carpet in my house!
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure