Tesco Direct TV repair

sevenhills
sevenhills Posts: 5,881 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 15 March 2019 at 7:35AM in Consumer rights
I bought a Toshiba 43L3653DB 43 TV on August 29th 2017 from Tesco Direct. It is now starting to switch itself off.
I assume Tesco Direct are still trading. The TV will be out of its 12 month initial 12 months manufacturers warranty, but only just.
I believe consumers have rights beyond the 12 months. I understand its down to how long you would expect a TV to last.
A TV lasting less than 2 years would mean it wasn't of merchandisable quality. Is that correct?
I have sent them an email, I assume it only had a 12 month warranty, I have lost the paper booklet.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I bought a Toshiba 43L3653DB 43 TV on August 29th 2017 from Tesco Direct. It is now starting to switch itself off.
    I assume Tesco Direct are still trading. The TV will be out of its 12 month initial 12 months manufacturers warranty, but only just.
    I believe consumers have rights beyond the 12 months. I understand its down to how long you would expect a TV to last.
    A TV lasting less than 2 years would mean it wasntof merchandisable quality. Is that correct?
    I have sent them an email, I assume it only had a 12 month warranty, I have lost the paper booklet.

Maybe a dodgy Google search engine but Tesco Direct closed last year.
  • sevenhills
    DCFC79 wrote: »

The Tesco I collected it from is still open ;)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    They were just a brand of Tesco Stores Limited who, obviously, still exist. The fact they're no longer selling stuff as Tesco Direct doesn't affect the OP's rights.

But as the item is over six months old, the onus is now on the OP to prove that the fault was inherent at the time of sale.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,984 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Commission an inspection and if that shows the fault was inherent, you have a case for a repair, replacement or partial refund, plus the cost of your inspection.
  • Rebster
    Rebster Posts: 151 Forumite
    Did your issues start last night? If so this is a widespread problem with Toshiba TVs - there are lots on Twitter reporting the same issue since last night. If you disconnect your TV from the internet it should work ok but I'm expecting Toshiba to issue some kind of fix because something is clearly wrong when all of their TVs stop working at exactly the same time...
  • sevenhills
    Commission an inspection and if that shows the fault was inherent, you have a case for a repair, replacement or partial refund, plus the cost of your inspection.

If Tosheba dont help me to repair this TV I will certainly have a negative view of what was once a good brand.
    I don't consider a TV to be of merchandisable quality if it does not last 2 years. I do have a local TV repair shop, lets see how helpfull Tesco are.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    If Tosheba dont help me to repair this TV I will certainly have a negative view of what was once a good brand.
    I don't consider a TV to be of merchandisable quality if it does not last 2 years. I do have a local TV repair shop, lets see how helpfull Tesco are.

Toshiba, don't make the TV's with their brand name anymore see their website is's clearly indicated their who does.
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    I bought a Toshiba 43L3653DB 43 TV on August 29th 2017...The TV will be out of its 12 month initial 12 months manufacturers warranty, but only just.
    If by "only just" you mean seven months outside of its warranty, or over by an additional 60% then fine,..

Regardless, as others have said after the first six months the onus is on you to prove an inherent fault. But when seeing how nice Tesco are, don't go using words like "only just out of its guarantee period".
  • sevenhills
    Rebster wrote: »
    Did your issues start last night? If so this is a widespread problem with Toshiba TVs - there are lots on Twitter reporting the same issue since last night. If you disconnect your TV from the internet it should work ok but I'm expecting Toshiba to issue some kind of fix because something is clearly wrong when all of their TVs stop working at exactly the same time...

Thanks, I am not on twitter.

It has only just started, a software issue did cross my mind; I did try the old trick of unplugging, but that didnt work.

TVs used to last 10+ years, so a TV lasting less than 2 years is not acceptable to me. If its acceptable to Toshiba, then I will not buy that brand again.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    If it is a software issue then a sotware update would hopefully be enough to rectify... simple fact is that the more we expect our TVs to do... the more there is to go wrong sadly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure