PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Any advice please? Nightmare situation...

Options
13»

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Another question - Was this an electric shower ?
    If so, then you must ensure that you get the appropriate certificates from the electrician showing that the work has been signed off - Your local building control dept should also have been notified.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • RedfordML
    Options
    Yeah, all electrical work was carried out by an electrician but it’s not an electric shower.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RedfordML wrote: »
    Long story short...

We paid a plumber to install a new en-suite at the cost of £3k.

8 weeks on, its still leaking. Plumber is now refusing to take responsibility and in messages has quoted “I’ve done all I can to find a solution” and “I’m out of ideas”

Are you saying it has been leaking right from the installation?
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • RedfordML
    Options
    Yep, leaked from original install.

Me and my partner have put more hours and effort into finding the solution to the plumber who is now ignoring messages.

We were very naive to pay early as we left it a week before trying properly and then we were assured it would be sorted.

Our stupidity and trust has been misplaced. We will learn the lesson. We’ve paid £3k in install and material and left with something that doesn’t work.

It’s mad how some people in life simply don’t care. I couldn’t sleep at night if I’d done some work and I’d left people high and dry.

Big lessons learnt. We’ve owned 4 houses and never had an issue with tradesman previously. But we can’t be so trusting in the future.

I wonder if the plumber would be replying or chasing had we not paid?
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, leaked from original install.
    Me and my partner have put more hours and effort into finding the solution to the plumber who is now ignoring messages.

We were very naive to pay early as we left it a week before trying properly and then we were assured it would be sorted.

Our stupidity and trust has been misplaced. We will learn the lesson. We’ve paid £3k in install and material and left with something that doesn’t work.

It’s mad how some people in life simply don’t care. I couldn’t sleep at night if I’d done some work and I’d left people high and dry.

Big lessons learnt. We’ve owned 4 houses and never had an issue with tradesman previously. But we can’t be so trusting in the future.

I wonder if the plumber would be replying or chasing had we not paid?

There's the main problem and hope you won't make that mistake again.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We’ve had shower boards fitted and have a border through the middle, which I believe is tongue and groove and shouldn’t need mastic according to instructions.

This states to silicone the joints ....
    https://ids.lsweb.co.uk/app/uploads/sites/7/2017/09/SplashPanel-Kits-Fitting-Instructions.pdf
    ... would be mad not to even if the instructions were silent on the issue.

but I guess you know that now!

If the gap is virtually invisible you might try a penetrating grout sealant. It might just be enough to seal a hairline leak.
  • andi_pandii
    Options
    plumber is obviously acting like a cowboy in this instance..
    if that is his usual modus operandi - then his lack reputation will not be worth much too him.. but if he is an established business with a usually good reputation - then you have much more leverage - a court case would not only cost him all of his and your legal costs but also a hell of a lot more in lost future business..

so if that is the case - gently explain to him that if he will not come to his senses and either provide a full refund of finally fix the job within the next week - you have a rock solid case that you will be taking it to a solicitor..

if on the other hand he is a cowboy with no reputation and you are not in the !!!!! - it is not so good..
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Options
    Another new user bringing back an old post.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills