First Direct customers left waiting for bank switch gadgets to get cash instead - MSE News

Options
First Direct has said some new customers who joined last year expecting to get a switch incentive gift will be sent cash instead, after complaints from those left waiting for their promised perk to arrive...
Read the full story:
'First Direct customers left waiting for bank switch gadgets to get cash instead'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm sure the T's and C's said about being subject to availibility and the offer could be withdrawn at any times.

But as with most things in life, people tend to not read or they ignore the small print on things.

I wonder how many compensation claims will be made for "lost hours on the phone to resolve the issue".
  • quirkydeptless
    Options
    I switched to First Direct last year, and got given £180 on the spot after phoning in about my selected headphones (which I didn't really need but, hey, they we being given away) not arriving.

So I'm not unhappy, I'm still 180 squid up :money:
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • keithse
    Options
    I joined first direct in August, and the reward I wanted (the Bose Bluetooth speaker) went "unavailable" before I could even have chance to choose it, then they said "please wait, we'll get something similar you can select" (although the date they first said the new choice would be available got pushed to the right a couple of times).

Finally, in early Dec a Bang & Olufsen Bluetooth speaker became an option that could be chosen, so I did . . . in early Jan they emailed to say they were having problems with that too, but "don't worry, we'll get it to you by the 25th Jan".

The 25th Jan came and went - nothing was delivered, and no more emails to explain what was happening.

On Monday 4th Feb I used the "contact us" form on the first direct rewards site to query what was happening . . . I never received a response to this query.

So, this Monday (11th Feb) I called the contact number on the first direct rewards site and the guy there told me he thought emails had been sent to all customers "last week" to offer cash alternatives (but I'd had no email).

He transferred me to first direct themselves (rather than the rewards handling company) and the lady there said the emails were going out in batches to Customers offering each an "appropriate value cash alternative".

She said that rather than wait for me to get the email she could offer me £180 there-and-then. I accepted and had the £180 in my account in less than an hour (which was the only efficient thing about the whole process!)

A couple of days later I saw this article on MSE, so thought I'd share my (long-winded) experience - in the end though, I am £180 up.

(TL;DR: Got £180 cash rather than a Bluetooth speaker)

Keith
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport