Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 30th Jan 19, 7:06 AM
    • 62,054Posts
    • 44,502Thanks
    soolin
    Private sellers 1000 free listings from March
    • 30th Jan 19, 7:06 AM
    Private sellers 1000 free listings from March 30th Jan 19 at 7:06 AM
    I'm sure a lot of private sellers will welcome this change - 1000 free listings a month from March 3rd. However, business sellers may be wondering what on earth we bother having legitimate business accounts for, not only do we pay for our listings but we are often in categories competing against unregistered business sellers who use free listings ?

eBay
    Hi Xxxxxxx
    On 3rd March 2019, eBay is making it free to list for private sellers.
    For private sellers with no shop:
    From 3rd March youíll receive a whopping 1,000 Free Listings a month. Currently your Free Listings cover 1 and 3 day duration listings. After the change, if you choose to list for these shorter durations, youíll be charged a Special duration listing upgrade fee of £0.35, regardless of the number of listings youíve used.
    These changes exclude Classified Ad listings and items listed in the Cars, Motorcycles & Vehicles category.
    For private sellers with a shop:
    From 3rd March youíll receive the same benefits and conditions as private sellers without a shop. Additionally, youíll receive 100 free listings with 1 and 3 day Special duration listing upgrade, after that each listing costs £0.35.
    You can find the current fees here.
    Footer
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest
    © eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.
    Last edited by soolin; 03-03-2019 at 7:50 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • lindens
    • By lindens 30th Jan 19, 7:57 AM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    lindens
    • 30th Jan 19, 7:57 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 7:57 AM
    ridiculous. Clearly Ebay know what is going on., What kind of private ebay seller would need a shop if they are only selling their own tat?
    Ebay are positively encouraging it.
    makes my blood boil
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 30th Jan 19, 8:37 AM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 30th Jan 19, 8:37 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 8:37 AM
    What gets me is 5 or 6 years ago, my OH ebay account was forced to a business account (which can't be undone) and when we phoned eBay they said it was on instructions from the government, every acc. that had sold more than x items (we'd sold about 50) in the same category. (women's clothes). We were livid, shut the account down and opened a new one. How does this square with giving away 1000 listings a month?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 30th Jan 19, 8:39 AM
    • 10,576 Posts
    • 128,262 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 30th Jan 19, 8:39 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 8:39 AM
    I got this email as well, amused me as I don't think I have 1000 items per month to sell in the first place!
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 23 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 30th Jan 19, 8:56 AM
    • 12,090 Posts
    • 26,450 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 30th Jan 19, 8:56 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 8:56 AM
    Yes it is very odd.

As a private seller I have been getting 20 free listings a month for a long time.

I also have been getting 100 free listings on top of that on a regular basis.

I never use all these and they are more than enough for a private seller.

so 1000?? very strange!
    • jeffuk
    • By jeffuk 30th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    jeffuk
    • 30th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 9:39 AM
    Maybe it's to compete against all the Facebook selling pages which where I live seem to be very busy and of course don't have selling fees.
    I hope they still continue with the fee capped promotions for private sellers.
    • dantendo
    • By dantendo 30th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dantendo
    • 30th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 9:56 AM
    I wonder if this will be on top of the 100 per day that many people get. 100 per day equates to approx 3000 a month, so if they remove that this will be quite a drop.

Or would this be part of the 20 per month but hiked up to 1000.
    • rose_sparky
    • By rose_sparky 30th Jan 19, 10:07 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    rose_sparky
    • 30th Jan 19, 10:07 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 10:07 AM
    Maybe sellers are giving up.

My items are selling for silly amounts, I used to be able to have a little pin money, not any more.

I only sell a few unwanted things but also wondered at the idea of giving private sellers 1000 free listings.
    • Ineedaservant
    • By Ineedaservant 30th Jan 19, 10:28 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Ineedaservant
    • 30th Jan 19, 10:28 AM
    • 30th Jan 19, 10:28 AM
    I have had the only pay when you sell offer for months now and that equates to 100 free listings a day, or up to 3100 per month. So this is a drop of up to 2100 listings per month.

Not that this affects me in any way because I only list about 10 fresh items per month out of my 199 available. I also relist anything that hasn't sold - currently about 50 items.

I totally agree that a private seller does not need this amount of free listings and still call themselves a private seller.
    I will not be happy until all the money is mine
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 30th Jan 19, 11:46 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    eBay to offer sellers 1,000 free listings - MSE News
    eBay is increasing the number of free monthly listings for sellers from 20 to 1,000 - but remember, you'll still need to pay a fee if your item sells...
    Read the full story:
    'eBay to offer sellers 1,000 free listings - but watch out for final value fees'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 30th Jan 19, 12:15 PM
    • 62,054 Posts
    • 44,502 Thanks
    soolin
    I was tempted to link to a 'private' seller the other day who had in excess of 2800 listings, but decided it would probably fall foul of the naming and shaming rules and I would have to tell myself off. The listings were about one third used items , the sort of bits you find in charity shops or if you trawl car boots, and a two thirds brand new items .

Many of the brand new items were from high street shops and photographed in situ rather than bought and taken home as stock. They so,d a fair few items every day and despite a high number of negs for cancelling sales still were running at around 98% positive. I assume they photographed things and if they sold they went back to buy them and if they were sold out they just cancelled the sale on the basis of problemwith buyers address or one of the others that doesn't give them a defect.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Mayday
    • By Mayday 30th Jan 19, 12:35 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    Mayday
    I got this email as well, amused me as I don't think I have 1000 items per month to sell in the first place!
    Originally posted by kazwookie
    Same here!
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 30th Jan 19, 3:18 PM
    • 39,031 Posts
    • 162,674 Thanks
    silvercar
    Many of the brand new items were from high street shops and photographed in situ rather than bought and taken home as stock. They so,d a fair few items every day and despite a high number of negs for cancelling sales still were running at around 98% positive. I assume they photographed things and if they sold they went back to buy them and if they were sold out they just cancelled the sale on the basis of problemwith buyers address or one of the others that doesn't give them a defect.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I never understand how this works on a regular basis, don't people check local shops and online before buying off eBay?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 30th Jan 19, 3:39 PM
    • 62,054 Posts
    • 44,502 Thanks
    soolin
    I never understand how this works on a regular basis, don't people check local shops and online before buying off eBay?
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Nope, or else some people are not lucky enough to live in easy distance of a large high street. If you live close to town as I do it seems the simplest thing in the world to pop out and buy what you want - but if you live somewhere remote then buying on ebay may well be cheaper than using petrol and paying a fortune for parking.

Many years ago I sold something to a lady on a remote Scottish island and for a year or so afterwards she would send me shopping lists of things from M and S that she wanted. Her only trips to a large town were once or twice a year at most weather permitting, yet she had several postal deliveries a week. It was cheaper paying me a small uplift to post things to her than it was to travel to a town, she also had the problem that many shops wouldn't deliver to anything other than mainland UK.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 30th Jan 19, 6:42 PM
    • 7,447 Posts
    • 32,107 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    This is ridiculous, and yet another slap in the face for business sellers

I have three eBay shops and pay them lots of money every month and am given nothing.

Someone I know has over 12,000 feedback but has abandoned that account and opened a private account in order to claim all the free offers
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 31st Jan 19, 6:18 AM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Question is, will it lead to more listings like this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-EMPTY-CO-OP-TESCO-FRENCH-NAPOLEON-BRANDY-GLASS-BOTTLES-35CL-SIZE/113536013886?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 31st Jan 19, 7:20 AM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 7,173 Thanks
    lindens
    clearly a business seller doing house clearances and selling on ebay
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 31st Jan 19, 6:03 PM
    • 29,032 Posts
    • 11,903 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    House clearances, full time carbooter or someone with a drink problem, or they raided the bottle bank?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 31st Jan 19, 6:18 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I would think someone who believes if you list enough rubbish, something, at some point will sell. I can't see someone clearing a house and washing up the refuse, and describing it in intimate detail.
    • Africat
    • By Africat 1st Feb 19, 5:57 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    Africat
    Anyone know if the new 1000 listings per month means that auto relists and those on good till cancelled will be included?
    I couldn't see any t's and c's.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,609Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin