Stairs for loft conversion

Options
Hi all,
Been lurking round here for a while and can see there are some pretty knowledgeable people, would be grateful for some advice.

I want to put in a loft conversion into my small bungalow, but want to lose the minimum possible space from downstairs. I know there are options like cantilevered stairs that look amazing but probably cost thousands, and probably aren't building regs compliant.

What kind of stairs would be building regs compliant and not take up too much space, as well as not costing the earth?

Did consider a spiral staircase but I think that would take up more room as well as being awkward to get anything up. Perhaps a bespoke MDF staircase that a chippy can knock up?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the key to taking up the least room is your placement of the stairs. But the first priority has to be making the most of the space gained upstairs. Sometimes there's only one option for a staircase because of the headheight constraints, some times it needs to be in the middle to be able to creat more than one room upstairs etc. There isn't always a lot of choice and stairs have to conform to building regs.

You're roght that spiral stairs are not space saving. They're impractical to boot.

https://www.stairbox.co.uk is a great place to get a bespoke, simple mdf or softwood staircase. We use them all the time.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • brewthebear
    Options
    Get an architect to come round and give you a quote You don, t have to pay and at least you,ll have an idea of where its best to go.

Then go online to someone like stairbox and input your dimensions etc and that will give you a price .
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Bungalows normally hunt in packs, have any of your neighbours had the attic done? Might be worth knocking on a few doors and seeing if you can persuade them to give you a quick look around to see how it was achieved.

If nobody wants to play: check out the listings on Rightmove, Zoopla etc... and your local council planning portal, which may or may not have some details.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • snowcat75
    snowcat75 Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 January 2019 at 12:31PM
    Options
    Staircases fall under part K regs, this includes hand rail heights, going/rise (the tread distances), head heights min landing sizes, widths etc its a long involved document. There are tricks to gaining headlights like Velux windows over the stairways, half landings gain room when tight but it really is what works best with your layout.

There's no real knocking up of staircases a CNC machined MDF staircase will be the cheapest option.

Custom staircases cost fortunes, I built them for my place myself x2 proberbly 100hrs work + if I was pricing the work you would be in the realms of 5 figures+VAT Each.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/45gG8JbthWjZayNm9
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 January 2019 at 8:50PM
    Options
    You will see all sorts of staircases in fancy loft conversions, but many of those are not classed as loft conversions but non-habitable rooms in the roof space. Legally you cannot use them for bedrooms and estate agents cannot include them in their description of the property. You might also get prosecuted for breach of the Building Regulations.

I would go for an old fashioned staircase designed by an architect or an experienced architectural technician and built by a traditional small builder or experienced joiner or handyman. The one shown in Snowcat75's post has a turn in it. However when going for open tread stairs like this remember the traditional staircase can have valuable storage space under it.

A simple staircase with a turn in it is probably going to be the staircase that takes up least room. Spiral staircases may look compact, but ones that meet the Building Regulations can take up more room than a simple traditional staircase.
  • snowcat75
    snowcat75 Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    You will see all sorts of staircases in fancy loft conversions, but many of those are not classed as loft conversions but non-habitable rooms in the roof space. Legally you cannot use them for bedrooms and estate agents cannot include them in their description of the property. You might also get prosecuted for breach of the Building Regulations.

I would go for an old fashioned staircase designed by an architect or an experienced architectural technician and built by a traditional small builder or experienced joiner or handyman. The one shown in Snowcat75's post has a turn in it. However when going for open tread stairs like this remember the traditional staircase can have valuable storage space under it.

A simple staircase with a turn in it is probably going to be the staircase that takes up least room. Spiral staircases may look compact, but ones that meet the Building Regulations can take up more room than a simple traditional staircase.

Part K does make some allowances for loft conversions, over new builds it also is slightly ambiguous on certain points using terms as "Its advisable" rather than must. The main thing BC wants on domestic sets is correct going and rise, "sensible" head heights and no breach on the 120mm gap rule.

My staircases wouldn't suit a normal dwelling IMHO I designed them as a one off for a barn, Likewise I thought standard domestic sets would look stupid ironically though although the scale of the place is big, It was still a struggle to fit and design the staircases to work and that complied with regs, I was about 20mm under on the head height and 60mm two narrow on the half landing, however building inspector new it wasn't a corner cutting exercise just how it had to be so allowed it to be.

As for storage long term I'm going to build some cupboards under the half landing just not sure on what materials to use yet, I'm a fan of spraying MDF for ultra shine modern finishes I'm yet to convince Mrs Cat that what she wants though!, luckily im in the position that I can make/build most things myself labour and bespoke=£££££.
  • Howard_B3
    Options
    zacepi wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Been lurking round here for a while and can see there are some pretty knowledgeable people, would be grateful for some advice.

I want to put in a loft conversion into my small bungalow, but want to lose the minimum possible space from downstairs. I know there are options like cantilevered stairs that look amazing but probably cost thousands, and probably aren't building regs compliant.

What kind of stairs would be building regs compliant and not take up too much space, as well as not costing the earth?

Did consider a spiral staircase but I think that would take up more room as well as being awkward to get anything up. Perhaps a bespoke MDF staircase that a chippy can knock up?

thanks in advance

Bungalows can be tough as you are often fighting with limited headroom (I think it's 2m under building regs).

But a good idea is to check out the likes of mrstairs.com or stairbox. The online tools allow you design within specified building regs so you can play around with a few ideas and visualize them.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had a few problems with the staircase when we converted our bungalow to a chalet bungalow. Not just a normal conversion as the whole roof and rafters had to come off - there was a groundfloor extension too. We had the choice of putting the staircase in the living room, dining room or utility room We decided on the utility room as I didn't really want it in the others.

Because of the space they allowed us to have the each stair slightly narrower (very slightly lol). We also had to make the headspace better by putting a slanting bit on the ceiling of the lower bit of the stairs. Had to change it because the original inspector had allowed what we had but on the final inspection we were told that it had to be changed. The original paperwork didn't go through for some reason!!!!! Anyway bearing in mind that my son is 6ft 3ins and he never had any problems with it seemed a strange rule to us.
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It doesn't make any difference downstairs, but our stairs have a sloping ceiling over the lower part that cuts into the room above which makes the room a bit bigger than it would be if the stairwell was open.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The paper plans and reality are often different
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing