Yearly review bill {Edited by Forum Team}?

Options
the_devil_made_me_do_it
the_devil_made_me_do_it Posts: 5,567 Forumite
edited 21 January 2019 at 5:30PM in Energy
Received my quarterly which takes into account energy used from September - December. I paid that in full. Then I received another bill which is from December - January. It had been estimated, so I telephoned EDF with meter readings, but my initial reason for phoning them was to ask why I had received this extra bill. The customer service person told me that it was a yearly review bill.

I've got to say I had no idea such a bill existed and I told them that. I gave the current readings and I have to pay a further £100+ on top of what I've already paid.

Now bearing in mind I live alone in a very small bungalow, with 4 radiators and I'm very particular about only using the gas or electric when needed. I certainly wouldn't say I wasted energy. Plus I only moved back to the property late November 2018.

The question I have though is, has anyone ever received this type of bill? I think it's quite bizarre, but maybe someone can enlighten me.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 January 2019 at 3:57PM
    Options
    Have you been giving regular monthly readings, did you send in a reading on the day you moved in. If you know what the reading was when you moved in and you read the meter today you can work out exactly how much you should pay for your energy.

If you dont send in regular readings they'll guess one and send in a bill based on the guess.

If they then get an actual reading they will either amend the first bill or send you another one if their estimate wasn't accurate.

You can avoid getting estimated bills by sending in your meter readings every month. Was your original bill based on actual start and end readings and if it was did the billing dates coincide with the reading dates.

If you send in a reading that was taken before or after the billing date many suppliers will try and guess the difference which in many cases is miles out.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Have you been giving regular monthly readings, did you send in a reading on the day you moved in. If you know what the reading was when you moved in and you read the meter today you can work out exactly how much you should pay for your energy.

If you dont send in regular readings they'll guess one and send in a bill based on the guess.

If they then get an actual reading they will either amend the first bill or send you another one if their estimate wasn't accurate.

You can avoid getting estimated bills by sending in your meter readings every month. Was your original bill based on actual start and end readings.

I haven't just moved in. I've just been living with a friend for a while. I've actually been in the property over 6 years.

Yes, I always send readings. I steer well clear of estimated bills. My issue is that I'd already paid my quarterly bill, but was sent out another one which covered from the end date of the last bill (December) to January. Only one month.

I'm fairly confident I've never been sent a so called "yearly review bill" in the past. However was wondering if anyone else had.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Received my quarterly which takes into account energy used from September - December. I paid that in full. Then I received another bill which is from December - January. It had been estimated, so I telephoned EDF with meter readings, but my initial reason for phoning them was to ask why I had received this extra bill. The customer service person told me that it was a yearly review bill.

I've got to say I had no idea such a bill existed and I told them that. I gave the current readings and I have to pay a further £100+ on top of what I've already paid.

Now bearing in mind I live alone in a very small bungalow, with 4 radiators and I'm very particular about only using the gas or electric when needed. I certainly wouldn't say I wasted energy. Plus I only moved back to the property late November 2018.

The question I have though is, has anyone ever received this type of bill? I think it's quite bizarre, but maybe someone can enlighten me.

Yes, EDF send out annual statements
    They are sent out separately from their normal bills, and are sent on, or rather just after, the anniversary date of when you fisrt went on supply with them.

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/annual-statement-customer-guide-old.pdf

Perhaps they have sent you an intermediate bill too, to align your quarterly billing in line with your anniversary date ... at least for one of the bills per year :)
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... Plus I only moved back to the property late November 2018.
    I haven't just moved in. ... I've actually been in the property over 6 years. ...

Clear as mud ... :cool:
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 January 2019 at 4:44PM
    Options
    When I was with EDF they issued their annual review in January when my contract started in April. They expected the account to be at £0 so issued a refund of credit, my daughter got a 17p refund. Not sure about if in debit but I would expect a monthly account to be slightly in credit in early Jan. Annual statements, which are something they have to supply, are completely different to the annual review bill.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    Clear as mud ... :cool:

Seems to make sense. OP has been an tenant ((or whatever) for 6 years but has more recently stayed with a friend (despite continuing to pay bills at their house) they recently returned in November and have been occupying the property since then.

OP was your quarterly bill estimated? If so the catch up bill will reflect the actual reading you then provided.
  • Thomas_Edison
    Options
    Energy suppliers are required to send out an annual statement, recently a supplier was fined for not doing so.

Did they have an actual reading for the September to December bill? If they did you can check the readings for your December to Jan bill match up.

Otherwise the latest bill will just be catching up with your consumption.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Thanks for the replys

The only bill that was estimated was this annual review bill. It was for £33. I don't like estimated bills, so I phoned them and advised them of the new meter readings. They sent out another bill for £100+. That was just for mid December to mid January.

I was shocked at the difference between the bills, but I'll pay it if that's what I've used. I just can't remember ever getting an extra bill like this before. I've had yearly usage statement, but not a yearly review bill, which covers 1 month. I could kind of understand it if all my bills had been estimated, however I always send meter readings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure