Can/Should I remove an Air Vent?

Options
We have recently bought a late Victorian property. The first floor room that will become our children's bedroom has been used for the last 20 years as a lounge. It has a gas fire in the fireplace (working chimney). I am having the gas fire removed (although leaving the decorative surround in place as a feature). I understand I need to put something in the chimney that still allows for ventilation so I don't get damp problems in the chimney breast. In addition to this there is a very large air vent in the corner of the room. It is very draughty and as it is on the front of the house also very noisy with traffic outside (not to mention pollution). Since there will no longer be any working fireplace in the room (gas or any other combustable) can I simply remove the air vent and block it up before we plaster the room? Is there any other reason (other than the gas appliance) that it was there? I appreciate the need to let old houses breathe but this thing is huge and I want the children's bedroom not to be cold and draughty! Many thanks for any advice you can give me

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The large vent was needed to allow enough air into the room to feed the gas fire. If you remove this fire you no longer need this vent.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    The large vent was needed to allow enough air into the room to feed the gas fire. If you remove this fire you no longer need this vent.

I have recently covered the chimney vent in my living room, I believe it has helped in keeping the room warm. I would not cover the vent permanently, during heavy rain water will come down the chimney, so ventilation will be a good thing.
    You can fit cowls to stop rain coming down the chimney. My bedrooms have no chimney vents, but they do have moveable vents on the walls.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do your windows have trickle vents?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Homersimpson
    Options
    I would block the vent in the external wall off and then block the chimney off and just put a vent from the room to the chimney.

An old house should leak air sufficiently to allow a draught to keep the chimney dry.
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling ;)
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I have recently covered the chimney vent in my living room, I believe it has helped in keeping the room warm. I would not cover the vent permanently, during heavy rain water will come down the chimney, so ventilation will be a good thing.
    You can fit cowls to stop rain coming down the chimney. My bedrooms have no chimney vents, but they do have moveable vents on the walls.
    Rain is never a problem with chimneys, they are designed to absorb the very little rain that gets in them.

The vents are often removed or covered when gas fires are ripped out.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Take it out
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • AA1985
    Options
    Im not sure what a trickle vent is?
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AA1985 wrote: »
    Im not sure what a trickle vent is?
    It's a slot at the top of your window, usually it can be opened and closed.

It allows small amounts of air in for ventilation.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please do replace with other forms of ventilation, for example throwing the windows open daily. Damp stale air has the potential to harm your children's health more than a cool bedroom temperature.

If pollution is known to be a major issue on your street, there are ventilation devices that install in the wall and filter/ slightly warm the incoming air. These are generally designed to be 'on' 24/7, not least so they can be suitably quiet when running.

HTH!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family