Inheritance advice

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hope this does not confuse things, but there is very generous tax relief on money that you put into a personal pension pot (SIPP or Stakeholder pension). That should be something else for you to consider.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    erb66 wrote: »
    Thanks again and just out of interest is there a way of getting a notification from the forum when you get a reply to a posting, I can't find it anywhere?
    Yes, click User CP at the top of the main board then ...
    Edit Options in the Settings & Options section, then Default Thread Subscription Mode in the Messaging & Notification section
    There you can select Instant email notification from the drop down list

That's when using the Green skin anyway
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Herbalus wrote: »
    It minimises some risk

It minimises the major risks of failing to find a job or hating the jobs you've found.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What does your wife do? How easy will it be for her to get a job? Could your living eexpenses be low enough thst she could cover them w/o a mtg or rent to pay?

She could go on ahead of you, move in with her parents and get job hunting. Looking at houses in her spare time. Then once she's working and you find a house you like, pull the plug. That would leave you only paying rent for a short period? or even no period if she/you find a house around the same time shen gets a job?
  • erb66
    erb66 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    atush wrote: »
    What does your wife do? How easy will it be for her to get a job? Could your living eexpenses be low enough thst she could cover them w/o a mtg or rent to pay?

She could go on ahead of you, move in with her parents and get job hunting. Looking at houses in her spare time. Then once she's working and you find a house you like, pull the plug. That would leave you only paying rent for a short period? or even no period if she/you find a house around the same time shen gets a job?

In many respects, given my particular circumstances, ie age, out of date skillsets, it will probably be easier for my wife to find a job as her skills/experience are still current. However, moving in with her parents is sadly not an option for reasons I won't go into here, although I appreciate the suggestion as, on paper, it could be the answer. As you alluded, given our outgoings will be relatively low, we wouldn't need to earn particularly high salaries, at least to start with while we get established, so I'd be open to pretty much anything!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I agree with everyone else, jobs is the issue and you do need to be relatively close to them given roads there so don't buy unless you either have got jobs fixed up or are very confident about getting them.
    If you time your move down there right you might be able to get a deal on holiday accommodation out of season instead of a full blown 12 month rental ?
  • atush
    erb66 wrote: »
    In many respects, given my particular circumstances, ie age, out of date skillsets, it will probably be easier for my wife to find a job as her skills/experience are still current. However, moving in with her parents is sadly not an option for reasons I won't go into here, although I appreciate the suggestion as, on paper, it could be the answer. As you alluded, given our outgoings will be relatively low, we wouldn't need to earn particularly high salaries, at least to start with while we get established, so I'd be open to pretty much anything!

I realised both of you moving in could be a trial, but thought they could fit her in on a limited time basis. Whatever.
  • atush
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I agree with everyone else, jobs is the issue and you do need to be relatively close to them given roads there so don't buy unless you either have got jobs fixed up or are very confident about getting them.
    If you time your move down there right you might be able to get a deal on holiday accommodation out of season instead of a full blown 12 month rental ?

This was my htought for pulling the plug sooner. Holiday lets are empty this time of year and you might find a deal. But have to be out before June
  • erb66
    erb66 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    This was my htought for pulling the plug sooner. Holiday lets are empty this time of year and you might find a deal. But have to be out before June

Yes, this could certainly be an option 👍
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

I'd say too late for that now, i was thinking more, rent somewhere say Oct this year til Apr 2020 and buys around then. OP packs job in around Aug-Sep this year house on market in a couple of months time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure