Esa going onto universal credit

Options
Hi I’m just wondering I’m on esa atm and living with parents but wanting to move out, as universal credit is in my area I will have to claim it as I will need housing benefit, what will I get on universal credit if I am In the support group now can someone give me some advice please?

Comments

• Anthonyk900
    Options
    Plus I had an assessment in September 2018 will I have to go for another assessment?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/what-youll-get

Looks like:
    Basic allowance: plus
    LCWRA element (providing you are reassessed as remaining in the Support Group / LCWRA); plus
    Housing element
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/what-youll-get

Looks like:
    Basic allowance: plus
    LCWRA element (providing you are reassessed as remaining in the Support Group / LCWRA); plus
    Housing element

Yep but may not get in all in your first payment though as the case manager will need to do a switch in the background, but you should then get any back pay. The LCWRA part that is.

This happens as the two systems cannot talk to each other.
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    So what would I get on universal credit basic money £250 a month then extra for my esa and then housing benefit on top like it’s so confusing my head is ready to explode?
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    I don’t know what to do just stay with parents and put up with constant arguments as my mental health depression and anxiety is getting really bad or move out and probs stuggle even more and get more depressed because of a different situation then going to face to face assessments are the worst when you have really bad anxiety and I thought we’ll probs not have to go for at least another year then bang probs have to go through it all again.
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    Done a benefits calculator on turn2us and they are say universal credit £320 a month and the extra is £550 for esa so total is £870 a month so I’m guessing the universal credit side is my housing benefit am I right here?
  • Anthonyk900
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if this is right ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I suppose the $64,000 dollar question is have you found someone where else to live, as a single man it may not be easy
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Done a benefits calculator on turn2us and they are say universal credit £320 a month and the extra is £550 for esa so total is £870 a month so I’m guessing the universal credit side is my housing benefit am I right here?
    You won't receive ESA and UC. Once you apply for UC then your ESA will transfer across to UC. See post #3 for the elements you'll recieve... single person under if 25 £251. 77 plus LCWRA £328.32 and the housing element, what ever that is for your area. Do you claim PIP? If not then you'll only receive the shared rate of LHA if you're under 35. If you're receiving PIP then it will be the 1 bedroom rate.

As has been mentioned it's not going to be easy finding somewhere to live for a single person claiming benefits. A lot of landlords won't accept people claiming benefits. Those that do will most likely ask for a guarantor.
  • ev8
    ev8 Posts: 268 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

How do you do this? I get confused easily, if you want to work out for universal credit do you tick you are already getting it or say no?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure