PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Complex In-Family House Purchase/ Transfer of Ownership (Scotland)

Options
Hello, I'm looking for advice from anyone who can help me make sense of this situation:

- My dad and his (soon to be ex) wife are divorcing and selling their house, it's on the market for a fixed price.
- My partner and I want to buy the house to AirB&B the main part of it, my Dad wants to remain on the property but living in a small cottage adjacent that belongs to the property.
- We would be buying it using some of our own savings alongside my dad's 50% share - he wants his money/estate to be put under my name. We would therefore be seeking a mortgage in myself and my partner's name to cover the remaining cost of the property.

What is the best plan of action for us to take to buy my dad's ex-wife out of the property, and transfer the ownership into our names + set up a mortgage? This is in Scotland, I know we have different property laws.

TIA

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    foxlycett wrote: »
    Hello, I'm looking for advice from anyone who can help me make sense of this situation:

- My dad and his (soon to be ex) wife are divorcing and selling their house, it's on the market for a fixed price.
    - My partner and I want to buy the house to AirB&B the main part of it, my Dad wants to remain on the property but living in a small cottage adjacent that belongs to the property.
    - We would be buying it using some of our own savings alongside my dad's 50% share - he wants his money/estate to be put under my name. We would therefore be seeking a mortgage in myself and my partner's name to cover the remaining cost of the property.

What is the best plan of action for us to take to buy my dad's ex-wife out of the property, and transfer the ownership into our names + set up a mortgage? This is in Scotland, I know we have different property laws.

TIA

Firstly I strongly suspect you will need commercial lending since your intention is to operate the main part of the building as an Air BnB business. Have you approached any mortgage brokers to find out if it's even possible?
  • foxlycett
    Options
    We will also live in it for some of the year, does commercial lending still apply in that case?

Essentially, would we need the ownership of it to be transferred from my dad and his ex-wife's names into our own names and then we re-mortgage it to buy his ex-wife out? I'm unsure as to what the correct process of completing a task like this would be.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We will also live in it for some of the year, does commercial lending still apply in that case?
    I expect that would still be a complication, yes.

As is the property including an annexe.

As is some of the funds coming from a non-borrowing resident.

One to ask a broker I think.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there currently a mortgage on the property?
  • foxlycett
    Options
    They have paid off the mortgage on the property.

I will ask a broker, thank you. Mortgages aside, in terms of how we would process this task, would the best route be to complete a transfer of ownership from their names to ours, and then we mortgage the property in order to buy his ex-wife out?
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    They have paid off the mortgage on the property.

I will ask a broker, thank you. Mortgages aside, in terms of how we would process this task, would the best route be to complete a transfer of ownership from their names to ours, and then we mortgage the property in order to buy his ex-wife out?

No, you'd apply for a mortgage and buy it from them the same as if you were buying any other property.
  • foxlycett
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me. Problem is I would need to take out the mortgage using some of my dad's capital from the 50% share of the property. Does that make sense? The deposit we would put down on the property would be using his capital and our own combined. That's where it becomes confusing.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me. Problem is I would need to take out the mortgage using some of my dad's capital from the 50% share of the property. Does that make sense? The deposit we would put down on the property would be using his capital and our own combined. That's where it becomes confusing.

I know you want to use your dad's equity as a deposit. As an example, if the property was worth £100k you would apply for a £50k mortgage.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Will your dad's ex wife be prepared to sign over the house to you with only a promise of money at a later date?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Will your dad's ex wife be prepared to sign over the house to you with only a promise of money at a later date?
    I don't think that's what's proposed. It's a purchase like any other, she'll only be signing it over in exchange for however much she's meant to be getting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure