IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Gdpr breach: Ppc sar error

Options
I just got an email from Britannia Parking for a SAR which I had not requested, whichh contains 2 PCN's: one for me and one for a complete stranger??? I am now in possession of their name, address, email, phone number, car registration number, pictures of the vehicle, and all written correspondence which includes their appeal (that states where they parked etc).

This is further concerning because I have 2 Pcns against my name. So I just got a SAR with one PCN of mine and one of another person's - does this mean my other PCN details may have been sent to someone else??

What can I do? Who can I complain to? I'm concerned about my own data now. At the moment, I've emailed that person informing them of Britannia's serious mess up with their data.

Further info:
- I did request a SAR from Britannia back at the start of December. They obliged with everything by the end of it. I recently emailed them asking them to remove my phone number as BW Legal were harassing me so I wanted to make sure the PPC no longer has my number. I didn't ask for another SAR, however.
- I've actually made a 2nd account for this in order to keep my identity safe from these leeches.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). Use this link.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a data breach by Britannia and copies of everything should be sent to the ICO

Why don't you contact the other party saying that Britannia have sent you his/her private information and advise them to complain to the ICO.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    Why don't you contact the other party saying that Britannia have sent you his/her private information and advise them to complain to the ICO.
    He's already done it.
    I've emailed that person informing them of Britannia's serious mess up with their data.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    He's already done it.

Missed that thanks, don't you think the DVLA should be advised what Britannia are doing
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    Missed that thanks, don't you think the DVLA should be advised what Britannia are doing

I'd go through other motions with the ICO first - the DVLA will just fob-off line the OP with that route if it hasn't been exhausted. The more ammo, the better.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Polygone
    Options
    I've already made 2 complaints to the ICO recently but about other issues (and mainly BW Legal) but I've found the ICO act super slow and their report forms just suggest what advice you want them to pass onto the firm. They've never responded to me either (beyond the email confirmation of receiving the complaint), so I do find them pretty useless.

No doubt I will still complain to the ICO and will recommend it to the other person. Just hope theres more that I can do.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Make a complaint to your MP and keep him/her abreast of any prevarication.

• beamerguy
    edited 11 January 2019 at 8:11PM
    Options
    Polygone wrote: »
    I've already made 2 complaints to the ICO recently but about other issues (and mainly BW Legal) but I've found the ICO act super slow and their report forms just suggest what advice you want them to pass onto the firm. They've never responded to me either (beyond the email confirmation of receiving the complaint), so I do find them pretty useless.

No doubt I will still complain to the ICO and will recommend it to the other person. Just hope theres more that I can do.

Well, Britannia data breach is severe

With the info they supplied you could have major problems for the other person

Go straight to Elizabeth Denham CBE, Information Commissioner
    https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/who-we-are/information-commissioner/

What else is Britannia doing ????
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    NatWest did similar with me. I complained to the Ombudsman and got £100 compo. I also informed the other party of the breach.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Polygone
    Options
    Cheers for the help, guys. Can't believe their incompotence. BW Legal have been threatening for the official Court Claim deadline in a few days and now their client has done this. I've been in contact by phone to the Department Store Manager of the retail store that the contraventions happened on and he agreed this is a serious GDPR issue. Got a meeting scheduled on Monday to discuss this.

So its likely my PCNs will get waived and I may seek out compensation for the serious mishandling of data here. Nicely done, Britannia Parking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport