Nationwide Issues (Account loss, app not accessible)

Options
Been a loyal Nationwide customer for decades. But not using it much these days, as living abroad. But there is still a sizable 5 figure saving in there.

In Dec I got a secure message through their system, telling me that the Postoffice has returned some mail as undeliverable, and as a security measure they have put restrictions onto my account.

So when I login to the online banking now, I cannot even see my account(s) let alone carry out any transactions. They say also in their message that I can update the address if I moved, but I need a card and card reader for it. I do not have a valid card at present, as that was returned by the post office.

I cannot fly half way around the world, just so they can see me at a branch. Not been able to call them yet, and tried to use their mobile app (hoping that it would perhaps let me access my account) - but that seems non-existen on the Google Play store.

My questions are:

1. What are my options - other than going into a branch. Is this normal?

2. Where can I download the Nationwide Banking App. Can find it on Google Play store, but unable to download it (says the file does not exist!)

Comments

• EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if you download the app I think you might still need a card reader to access it the first time.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may now find that as a non UK resident they no longer want you as a customer.

Was the address they held for you a UK one or your foreign address?
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    The Nationwide app is on Google Play but you won't be able to use it if they have locked you out of Internet banking and if you don't have your card and card reader

the best thing to do is to call them and update your address to your current one and see what they say - as above they may close your account but you will have to see what they do
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/apply-activate/nationwide-customers-living-and-or-working-abroad

However they are still not obliged to keep you as a customer especially if you haven’t updated them with your overseas address.

I’m guessing as the post got returned as undeliverable you’ve not changed your address as you should have done?
  • oranabana
    oranabana Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Should have worded it differently. I am working abroad on a regular basis, but still live at the same address - just not there much, as for a large amount of time i am staying in hotels as part of my consulting work with clients. That's what i meant by "living".

Actually, i don't mind if they want to close that account, BUT i do mind if they just run off with my money. Surely they have to transfer that back to me before closing any account of mine.

Either way, will call them and see what's going on here.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    oranabana wrote: »
    the Postoffice has returned some mail as undeliverable
    oranabana wrote: »
    still live at the same address - just not there much
    So what's the explanation for the returned mail, the source of your problem..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Well if you are still living there albeit infrequently doesn't the post just get pushed through letterbox and pile up so that you can open it when you return not sure why they would send the post back to Nationwide
  • oranabana
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Well if you are still living there albeit infrequently doesn't the post just get pushed through letterbox and pile up so that you can open it when you return not sure why they would send the post back to Nationwide

Indeed thats what normally happens. And my flatmates tend to keep things organized and in a pile for me when i come back. Perhaps it had to be signed for? But even thats not normally an issue.

Tried to call Nationwide, but after 25min on hold gave up. (costs are not cheap to call from abroad)
  • John_G_Jones
    Options
    Who sent your post back to them, and why?

Are you up to date on your rent?
  • oranabana
    Options
    After sending them another secure message they have agreed to resent the card, and made my accounts visible again. Still don't know why this happened in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure