Economy Energy — no prepayment gas card

Options
Hello! I’m really hoping someone with some experience of Suppliers of Last Resort can provide some advice, as I seem to be in a pickle :o

I’m moving to a new house (renting) in early Feb. The house has prepayment meters fitted for both gas and electric — the electric has a payment key, but the gas meter didn’t have a payment card when I viewed. I thought that wouldn’t be a problem, because I could ring the supplier on move-in day and sort a new payment card. Rang up the gas distributor today, explained I was about to move in, and wanted to know who the supplier was so I could ring them first thing when I moved in, and... it’s Economy Energy. _pale_ Everything I’ve read online says to keep plodding on until the SoLR is appointed and writes to you, but I can’t plod on without a payment card to top up the gas...

So, I have two questions and I’d be really grateful if anyone could steer me in the right direction:
1) Is a SoLR likely to be appointed before I move in? If yes, will they be able to sort a payment card straightaway?
2) If a SoLR isn’t appointed before I move, what do I do??

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 January 2019 at 8:18PM
    Options
    tantaraza wrote: »
    Hello! I’m really hoping someone with some experience of Suppliers of Last Resort can provide some advice, as I seem to be in a pickle :o

I’m moving to a new house (renting) in early Feb. The house has prepayment meters fitted for both gas and electric — the electric has a payment key, but the gas meter didn’t have a payment card when I viewed. I thought that wouldn’t be a problem, because I could ring the supplier on move-in day and sort a new payment card. Rang up the gas distributor today, explained I was about to move in, and wanted to know who the supplier was so I could ring them first thing when I moved in, and... it’s Economy Energy. _pale_ Everything I’ve read online says to keep plodding on until the SoLR is appointed and writes to you, but I can’t plod on without a payment card to top up the gas...

So, I have two questions and I’d be really grateful if anyone could steer me in the right direction:
    1) Is a SoLR likely to be appointed before I move in? If yes, will they be able to sort a payment card straightaway?
    2) If a SoLR isn’t appointed before I move, what do I do??

Check on the day you move in who the supplier is.

If it's not been changed, then you will need to contact Boost Power (part of Ovo Energy) with your meter reading(s)

https://www.boostpower.co.uk/help#contactnumbers

They'll send you new payment cards, and provide you temporary payment codes to use to top up with until the payment cards arrive :)
  • tantaraza
    Options
    Thank you very much! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills