Proof of Past Benefits

I’m having trouble getting a Proof of Benefits letter and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. In short, I came off ESA in March last year to begin a Part Time job after a lengthy layoff with illness. At the time Jobcentre Plus provided me with a letter detailing the dates of my ESA and, prior to that, my JSA.

I’ve since been offered a new Full Time job but the new employer is also asking for a letter. They won’t accept the one dated March last year so I rang Jobcentre Plus on the 0310 helpline and asked them to issue me with a new one. They’ve told me they can no longer do this because “we don’t have access to your records” (!?)

As a last resort I’ve put in an Information Access request asking for my complete file, but that can take at least a month and will obviously contain more detail than I need.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and do you have any idea about how else to get a Proof of Benefits letter?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you ask JobCentre to confirm in writing that they cannot provide a new letter and show that to your new employer as evidence that you have tried to get the information.

I cannot understand why the employer is asking - I cannot see how receipt of benefits is relevant to an employer other than to fill in gaps in employment history and if you have evidence of your work since March 2018 there aren't any new gaps to explain.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • The new employer needs information covering the past 5 years for security reasons. They accept that Jobcentre are being difficult and have given me extra time, but they won’t let me start until I have the proof I need.
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466
    First Post
    Forumite
    Just to warn you, your complete file might be extremely long. Mine was over 1000 pages - and it still didn't contain the information I specifically requested (the dates certain benefits started and stopped.)
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,208
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If your last claim was over 6 months ago the claim data and information has more than likely been destroyed as per GDPR guidelines.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,519
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How was your money paid? Would bank statements showing payments going in be acceptable?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    If your last claim was over 6 months ago the claim data and information has more than likely been destroyed as per GDPR guidelines.

The advice here suggests most records are kept for 14 months after claim ends.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-information-management-policies/dwp-managing-customer-records-guide

Destroying records after 6 months would prevent the proper conduct of any late appeals within the 13 month permitted period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,208
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    calcotti wrote: »
    The advice here suggests most records are kept for 14 months after claim ends.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-information-management-policies/dwp-managing-customer-records-guide

Destroying records after 6 months would prevent the proper conduct of any late appeals within the 13 month permitted period.

That's true for supporting documents i.e. how a decision was made (LT 54's etc), evidence used to make that decision, WCA paperwork, CDHA assessments, ESA50's etc, but that data would not cover any actual award amounts or periods of any claim, as that information would not have any impact on any subsequent appeal, as you would be appealing the decision not to award benefits and as such, would in theory be ephemeral so not kept for 14 months.

They may still have the award information, but normally that is wiped from OPSTRAT after around 6 months for legacy benefits as it's ephemeral and is not used to award or deny benefits.

The supporting evidence as the DWP call it is held in either a physical file or electronically in DRS which is a digital repository system, award letters are not generally uploaded as they are system generated or if they are uploaded they only have the shorter retention period. Refusal letters are surprisingly uploaded though.

Hopefully that makes sense.
  • calcotti
    Forumite
    Thanks Tomtom, that does make sense. Makes life very difficult for someone in OPs situation.

Of course we also see this with ongoing claims when DWP say the claim was “rebuilt” on such and such a date and they no longer have access to information about amounts paid before then. Makes it very difficult working out underpayments etc!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    calcotti wrote: »
    I cannot understand why the employer is asking - I cannot see how receipt of benefits is relevant to an employer other than to fill in gaps in employment history and if you have evidence of your work since March 2018 there aren't any new gaps to explain.

I had the same issues in 2015, when starting a contract, the irony was I was to be working for the DWP and it was they who delayed my start-date
  • K80_Black wrote: »
    Just to warn you, your complete file might be extremely long. Mine was over 1000 pages - and it still didn't contain the information I specifically requested (the dates certain benefits started and stopped.)

Hi, Wow 1000 pages and thats my kind of luck of not having the right information sent back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure