Money Moral Dilemma: Should I rebuy my gift in the sale?

Comments

• The moral compass of those posting appears defective. It was a present. Providing you like it, why would you want to take it back or "rebuy" it - or are we all so obsessed with the few pounds we would gain that we would sacrifice the pleasure (and point) of exchanging gifts. If anyone does decide to rebuy, I hope in future they will tell anyone who is likely to buy them a gift exactly what they did - I suspect that would have a big impact on the number and value of gifts received, because it throws in to sharp relief how little you think of the gift giver
  • Yes take it back get your money back then buy it back again I always do it if I find they have reduced the item i did it not long ago with a new mobile for my wife saving me £220 good luck paddybill
  • Absolutely NOT. It was a gift for heaven's sake! Say thank you and be grateful.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    archie1411 wrote: »
    The moral compass of those posting appears defective. It was a present. Providing you like it, why would you want to take it back or "rebuy" it - or are we all so obsessed with the few pounds we would gain that we would sacrifice the pleasure (and point) of exchanging gifts. If anyone does decide to rebuy, I hope in future they will tell anyone who is likely to buy them a gift exactly what they did - I suspect that would have a big impact on the number and value of gifts received, because it throws in to sharp relief how little you think of the gift giver
    Isn't it more accurate to say that 'the moral compass of the person asking the question appears defective'?
  • I totally agree and would not normally want to return items unless faulty but in the context of the question the goods may have been bought some time ago or the policy of the shop might only to stick to its legal obligations.
  • VT82 wrote: »
    To be fair, keeping the receipt when not planning on potentially doing a 'no fault' return for two months is a bit pointless. What if the shop doesn't even stock the item anymore? The only value the shop would get from taking the goods back as a goodwill gesture would be to stick it straight into clearance. Statutory rights don't extend to this scenario for a reason.

I totally agree and would not normally want to return items unless faulty but in the context of the question the goods may have been bought some time ago or the policy of the shop might only to stick to its legal obligations.
  • If you can take it back and get the money back for it, why not. If you like the top, then buy it back at the cheaper price and spend the difference on something else. I'm sure your aunt wouldn't mind, as you still have the top. I recently did that and got two tops for the price of one!! Savvy shopping!!!
  • There is a time limit on goodwill refunds after which at the shops discretion you may get a credit voucher but only to the value of the current price. Not the price originally paid.
  • Tempting yes but, as it was free to you, it couldn't be any cheaper. Also with the current climate think what would happen if everyone did this after Christmas. There wouldn't be many shops still trading next Christmas.
  • I had a FULL refund (in credit voucher) and was told it was M&S policy.
    Before i returned the goods I actually phoned M&S who told me to return the goods for a full refund to my local M&S. I was surprised too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure