Laptop needed

Options
first78
first78 Posts: 1,044 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I need to buy a laptop as my iPad is on its last legs. Looking to spend £250 or less...am I likely to be able to get a decent laptop for this price? I'm not techie minded at all so would appreciate any advice.

I use my iPad for Skype, social media, photos and general browsing and completing job applications.

Can anyone recommend a suitable laptop please...prefer new to refurb. Thanks.

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    a laptop running Chrome would suit your needs............they are called chromebooks and they are many within that budget
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    a laptop running Chrome would suit your needs............they are called chromebooks and they are many within that budget

That's great, thanks! Is there anything specific that I should look out for when choosing one?
  • ballyblack
    Options
    That's great, thanks! Is there anything specific that I should look out for when choosing one?

Try to get 4gb ram

Try Argos and Amazon or this one:
    https://uk-store.acer.com/acer-chromebook-15-cb3-532-silver#specifications
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    first78 wrote: »

Unfortunately the Chromebook fans never tell you of it's limitations and this thread is no different.

I certainly wouldn't waste my money on such a thing. If the SD card that they use for storage fails, you'll have to throw the whole thing in the bin.
  • ballyblack
    Options
    I have been using a Toshiba, Samsung and Acer Chromebooks for years and had not any failures even though they have all been knocked about a fair bit.

Still fast as the first day

Yes there are limitations but the poster only wants it mainly for browsing
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pros and cons, like with everything.

Personally I have never used a Chromebook, probably never will, but in any case I wouldn't be too concerned about the storage.
    It's tiny, but it's not a Windows laptop, so I guess updates won't be that big, and if it fails within warranty you get it replaced, if it's out of warranty, it's likely that the value of the laptop will be so small for even considering a repair.

By the way, the same applies to iPads, which can be used pretty much for the same things (Skype, social media, browsing, etc), but they are much more expensive than this.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you after windows laptop, probably this
    https://www.ebuyer.com/835635-lenovo-v110-amd-a9-laptop-80td005puk

IMO, if you want a decent laptop, you will need £400 - 500
  • square_bear
    square_bear Posts: 3,865 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I've just seen a laptop in my local family-owned computer shop and was wondering if anyone can say if this is a good deal or if there are any online retailers can offer better?
    I'm aware that buying from my local shop not only helps them continue trading but also, if I have any issues with the laptop I can quite easily pop in to sort it out.
    However, I will consider online deals just to compare.
    Uses are for some gaming, Student work and general surfing.

This is the offer:

Lenovo V130 Laptop.
    Intel Core i3-7020U 2.3GHz Processor.
    4GB RAM.
    480GB SSD drive.
    15.6" HD LED Screen
    Intergrated Intel HD5500 Graphics.
    Webcam
    Wi-Fi
    HDMI
    Bluetooth
    Card Reader
    DVDRW
    Windows 10
    Full Internet Security (OEM)
    Free 5 year Labour Warranty, Delivery & Setup.

£ 489.00

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • breals
    Options
    I have recently purchased a refurbished laptop on ebay - they may not be as bright or as shiny as a brand new one, but they are really good value - there is currently one on ebay with the following specs

ASUS VivoBook E406 14 Inch Celeron N3060 2.48 GHz 4GB 32GB eMMC Laptop - Grey.

This is only £148 - the company has sold 76 of them and it has a 5 star rating! you can also have it delivered to your local Argos store!

So if you are not fussed about having a brand new one out of the box, then this is a good alternative

Breals
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport