Easiest to use comparison site

Options
2»

Comments

• busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If I use their annual calculation it says I save £250. Using a spread sheet for the top four suppliers, just for the next four months, the most I can save is £50.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 December 2018 at 2:21PM
    Options
    busybee100 wrote: »
    If I use their annual calculation it says I save £250. Using a spread sheet for the top four suppliers, just for the next four months, the most I can save is £50.

Costs & savings are based on an annual amount. (although uSwitch do give a breakdown of how they get those i.e. they will give you the cost until the end of your current tariff, and then the cost for the reaminder of the year based on the default tariff)

I suggest you check the results with another couple of comparison sites to see what results are obtained, as it is unlikely that 2 independent sites will come up with exactly the same wrong answer.

If the other 2 sites come up with a common answer, then perhaps uSwitch site has an error (it's not unknown with 70+ suppliers each with all their range of tariffs, often changing by region too).
    You should notify the site if you think they have made such an error, with a brief explanation as to why you believe they have got it wrong.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Life would have been a lot simpler if Ofgem had just accepted EDF’s suggestion that all suppliers contribute towards a single price comparison website.
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Life would have been a lot simpler if Ofgem had just accepted EDF’s suggestion that all suppliers contribute towards a single price comparison website.

Life will be a lot simpler if we were all to vote Jeremy Corbyn into power.

Then there will be no need for energy price comparsion sites as he'll tell us where we will be buying it all from - although your local community may need to produce it first ;)

As an added bonus, we'll all be doing our bit to reduce climate change, as rumour has it, we'll all be issued with out own red caps to keep our bonce's warm too.

:rotfl:
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    Costs & savings are based on an annual amount. (although uSwitch do give a breakdown of how they get those i.e. they will give you the cost until the end of your current tariff, and then the cost for the reaminder of the year based on the default tariff)

I suggest you check the results with another couple of comparison sites to see what results are obtained, as it is unlikely that 2 independent sites will come up with exactly the same wrong answer.

If the other 2 sites come up with a common answer, then perhaps uSwitch site has an error (it's not unknown with 70+ suppliers each with all their range of tariffs, often changing by region too).
    You should notify the site if you think they have made such an error, with a brief explanation as to why you believe they have got it wrong.

I don't think they have it wrong. The difference between the two figures is 8 months on the default tariff. £50 of the £250 is for the next 4 months.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »

Switching suppliers based on a savings comparison has long been a flawed concept - even more so now with the relaxation in the way that suppliers and PCWs can calculate Estimated Annual Consumption and with the Default Tariff. Compare present cost with future costs is one way: the other, is just ignore any savings.

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2018/11/martin-lewis---warning--energy-price-comparison-savings-are-wron/?_ga=2.5801523.122992166.1542540753-1045363169.1507724648
  • moneysaver129
    Options
    I used Uswitch twice and they were a disaster. The suppliers they directed me to didn't accept my readings and imposed their figures instead. Also the projections are totally misleading. The whole system seems to be fake. Don't use comparison sites/switching sites - they just give you problems.
  • wavelets
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    busybee100 wrote: »
    I don't think they have it wrong. The difference between the two figures is 8 months on the default tariff. £50 of the £250 is for the next 4 months.

I am glad you now agree that uSwitch do not have it wrong. :)

Comparison sites quote annual costs (based on your usage) - and savings are calculated also on an annual basis.

You will save £250 p.a. switching via uSwitch compared to not doing anything. (assuming no price changes, you remain on the new tariff for the whole year, your usage doesn't vary from that expected, etc, i.e. based on the information known today)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure