Barclays weekend credits/debits

Options
Don't know if this has been mentioned before and I am late to the party, but I notice after the latest update to my Barclays banking app that transactions are being shown for today. Any payments or credits used to show as the following Monday's date.
I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.

Comments

• flo22
    flo22 Posts: 334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Credits will be applied on the Saturday and Debits will be applied on the Monday
    30+ years working in banking
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 November 2018 at 3:38PM
    Options
    flo22 wrote: »
    Credits will be applied on the Saturday and Debits will be applied on the Monday

That's not correct, as proved by the transactions showing on my Barclays Bank app today, Saturday 10 November.

It shows a debit card transaction (Continuous Payment Authority) which is due on Monday has been debited today, Saturday.

Under "Today" it shows the name and amount, but when you tap on it to display further details, it reads: "Debit card purchase - Remote, Monday 12 November 11.21" That's the time, not the amount, by the way.

So, Barclays do debit Monday's payments on the preceding Saturday.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Presumably the retailer has asked for the debit on the 10th and Barclays have processed it immediately? Is it worth asking the retailer why they took it early?
  • EarthBoy
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    Presumably the retailer has asked for the debit on the 10th and Barclays have processed it immediately? Is it worth asking the retailer why they took it early?

The retailer hasn't taken it early. As I've explained, it's dated 12th, which is Monday, it's Barclays which have debited Monday's payments today.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    The retailer hasn't taken it early. As I've explained, it's dated 12th, which is Monday, it's Barclays which have debited Monday's payments today.

A card-based Continuous Payment Authority Transaction is initiated by the retailer. For Barclays to be showing it as taken today, the retailer must have processed it either today or earlier.
  • EarthBoy
    Options
    A card-based Continuous Payment Authority Transaction is initiated by the retailer. For Barclays to be showing it as taken today, the retailer must have processed it either today or earlier.

Yes, that's right, but you're missing the point. The payment is dated two days in the future, but it's come off my balance today. It's not showing as a pending payment, but as a cleared transaction.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    EarthBoy wrote: »
    Yes, that's right, but you're missing the point. The payment is dated two days in the future, but it's come off my balance today. It's not showing as a pending payment, but as a cleared transaction.

Understood, I was addressing the contention that the 'retailer hasn't taken it early' when the retailer must have banked the transaction early for Barclays to be able to do anything with it.

I recall Barclays publishing some clarification of weekend payments many, many months ago but cannot remember exactly what they said - you'll have to trawl through their T&Cs yourself to find out why they have physically deducted it today but dated it as Monday.

It must be connected with Card-based payments only because DDRs and STOs don't get deducted until the next working day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure