Building controls inspector

Options
VfM4meplse
VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
This sounds a bit weird - but how do you check the authenticity of a building controls inspector? And can it be checked retrospectively with the local authority by a third party? I've heard a story that makes me think that a builder may have bought an impersonator inspector onto the site. I don't know, but there is a lot about the work that doesn't add up.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    This sounds a bit weird - but how do you check the authenticity of a building controls inspector? And can it be checked retrospectively with the local authority by a third party? I've heard a story that makes me think that a builder may have bought an impersonator inspector onto the site. I don't know, but there is a lot about the work that doesn't add up.

Speak to the council building control. Either the inspection took place or it didn't.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Speak to the council building control. Either the inspection took place or it didn't.
    That was the plan - just not sure whether they would offer the information to a third party. Still, I can ask and they can always refuse.

I thought usual practice ahead of any project of significant cost is to supply a schedule of work, and agree the release of payments against the before starting a job? And to split the material costs and labour? (I'm used to working in an environment that is very particular about project management). The builder on this case is a one-man band, does this make any difference?

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you mean by a Building Control inspector? Are you worried about one area (eg. electrics) or an entire build?

AFAIK either relevant work can be checked and signed off by Building Control officers (council employees), or by competent tradespeople who are appropriately qualified and registered in a scheme.

As far as checking credentials/ qualifications/ registration that is down to Building Control at the local council. I would hope they take a dim view of any fraudulent paperwork.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    He may not work for the council.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    He may not work for the council.
    The question mark is around whether the person was genuine or a plant, because the costs (and work itself) suddenly escalated after their visit. I don't have a clue - it's not me affected - but it does strike me that there has been a significant erosion of trust.

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 November 2018 at 10:30PM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    The question mark is around whether the person was genuine or a plant, because the costs (and work itself) suddenly escalated after their visit. I don't have a clue - it's not me affected - but it does strike me that there has been a significant erosion of trust.

What???

At the very least this is getting into 'Chinese Whispers' territory. Given you admit you "don't have a clue", could the person who owns the site come online?

Is the claimed job title of "Building Control inspector" verbatim? Is there any documentation related to this supposed inspection?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My point was that the choice is not between council building inspector & an imposter, another possibility is a private building control inspector.

Are you saying in your last post that this "inspector" said more work had to be done that will cost more money? If the customer isn't happy they can ask the builder for the inspector's contact details & ask him.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The building inspector has nothing to do with costs.

You need to tell the story, OP. This isn't making any sense.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • ally1974
    Options
    You get people called Approved Inspectors, essentially doing the same job as local authority building control officers but private. They have to be part of a professional body, so you can check that easily enough. What's called a building notice (rather than full building regs application) is still submitted to the local planning authority but that's simply telling them that everything has been checked & is in accordance with the regulations. If you're worried check if the person is registered first before speaking to the lpa.
    :hello:
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    The building inspector has nothing to do with costs.

You need to tell the story, OP. This isn't making any sense.
    I'd agree, I'm getting only one side of a story myself.

Is it unusual for a standard job to be quoted for, a building's inspector to turn up and say "no, I want it done this way to be compliant" and change the build spec so that the price increases? I thought they had the power to do that but for a job that is realtively straightforward, why would they need to?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure