Sofa so uncomfortable.

I purchased a sofa from Argos online, it was delivered a couple of days ago.
I assembled it yesterday and disposed of the packaging as I didn't notice any faults. However, after a few hours of sitting it's so unbelievably uncomfortable, to the extent of my bum and legs going numb. I don't think I can live with it for much longer its so uncomfortable.

My question is can it be returned for a refund or exchange as it has been used and has no packaging? Still in perfect condition though.

Thanks

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As you purchased it online, and assuming it's withing 14 days, then you may be able to cancel it but you wont be getting a full refund now that you've "assembled it" and thrown away the packaging. Argos will be able to deduct an amount if the value of the goods has been diminished by your handling.
  • grayson
    grayson Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    neilmcl wrote: »
    As you purchased it online, and assuming it's withing 14 days, then you may be able to cancel it but you wont be getting a full refund now that you've "assembled it" and thrown away the packaging. Argos will be able to deduct an amount if the value of the goods has been diminished by your handling.

Any idea of the amount?
    Thanks for your reply.
  • I have family who have bought sofas from Argos and they are awful.
    Get around the many furniture charity shops and buy a good quality second hand one for a fraction of the price or Ikea.
  • neilmcl
    edited 10 November 2018 at 11:44AM
    grayson wrote: »
    Any idea of the amount?
    Thanks for your reply.
    Anything up to the full amount of the sofa. your sofa is now used.
  • neilmcl
    I have family who have bought sofas from Argos and they are awful.
    Get around the many furniture charity shops and buy a good quality second hand one for a fraction of the price or Ikea.
    Ikea sofas aren't much better imho.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    grayson wrote: »
    Any idea of the amount?
    Thanks for your reply.

Given the market for a sofa that has already been assembled then unassembled with no packaging, I imagine they would deduct 90% of the original cost.

Sell it on a local selling site and go buy one from a shop where you can try it first.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • grayson wrote: »
    Any idea of the amount?
    Thanks for your reply.
    The likely amount is your honest answer to this question: How much would you be prepared to pay for an unpackaged, second-hand version of the sofa you bought? For me, it would be no more than 60% of the original price.
  • My question is can it be returned for a refund or exchange as it has been used and has no packaging? Still in perfect condition though.

You ordered online, so you have the right to return within 14 days. Stop sitting on it immediately though, as I can guarantee it will look used if you continue sitting on it until they come and collect it. Depending on the terms and conditions they supplied when you bought it, you may be responsible for paying the cost of the return delivery. Is it possible to sit on the sofa before you remove the packaging? If not, then you have an excellent argument that there should be no deduction for the missing packaging, as obviously there's no way you could know that they're horribly uncomfortable without sitting on them. Any chance you can fish the packaging back out of the bin? It will make life easier if you don't have to have that argument with them.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You ordered online, so you have the right to return within 14 days. Stop sitting on it immediately though, as I can guarantee it will look used if you continue sitting on it until they come and collect it. Depending on the terms and conditions they supplied when you bought it, you may be responsible for paying the cost of the return delivery. Is it possible to sit on the sofa before you remove the packaging? If not, then you have an excellent argument that there should be no deduction for the missing packaging, as obviously there's no way you could know that they're horribly uncomfortable without sitting on them. Any chance you can fish the packaging back out of the bin? It will make life easier if you don't have to have that argument with them.

Distance selling only gives you the right to EXAMINE goods as you would in a shop.

Anything in addition to what you would have done in the shop can be deducted from the refund.

As the OP has ASSEMBLED the sofa and used it, they will get very little refund.

Comfort is subjective. My parents find their sofas very comfy but I disagree!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • neilmcl
    edited 10 November 2018 at 5:05PM
    It's been assembled and no longer has any packaging. Argos are entitled to make a deduction to any refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure