Project Solar quote / Install

Options

Comments

• ASavvyBuyer
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »

Sticking with my guess of 75% consumption, that leaves you less than 1,000kWh's pa to store, even if it will all fit in a batt (you might still have leftovers in the summer months that get exported) so 1,000 x 15p = £150pa on a batt costing £3k to £6k. So doesn't look like a good idea yet for you.

BTW, if a company is trying to sell you a battery, beware of them using high inflation figures for electricity costs to help justify the investment.
  • Hellfire8
    Options
    Hey guys, thought I'd update, Spoken to a few local companies, all of them said they'll price a normal 4.2Kw install at around 6-7K, (Better than 9.5k from project solar) So I've given them details and arrange site surveys.

Luckily as I have photos of access, pitch, orientation a couple said they can quote over the phone. Also as I have the figures from PVGIS I know what to expect.

Also everyone I've spoken to so far, none are sales people, they're all engineers/surveyors, unlike Project Solar.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Hellfire8 wrote: »
    Hey guys, thought I'd update, Spoken to a few local companies, all of them said they'll price a normal 4.2Kw install at around 6-7K, (Better than 9.5k from project solar) So I've given them details and arrange site surveys.

Luckily as I have photos of access, pitch, orientation a couple said they can quote over the phone. Also as I have the figures from PVGIS I know what to expect.

Also everyone I've spoken to so far, none are sales people, they're all engineers/surveyors, unlike Project Solar.

Sounds like you've had a lucky escape :)
  • Hellfire8
    Options
    Funny thing is, Project Solar have just called me, Due to FIT ending next year they're so busy and ordering so many panels they have big discounts from their suppliers and can save me a lot more. So he's going to let me know how much cheaper he can get it for me (he has cancelled the original contract)

Now if their system comes in to £6.5k like the others have I'd certainly be happy to look at it. I didn't have a problem with the company itself, just the pricing,

Thoughts on this?
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 November 2018 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Funny thing is, Project Solar have just called me, Due to FIT ending next year they're so busy and ordering so many panels they have big discounts from their suppliers and can save me a lot more. So he's going to let me know how much cheaper he can get it for me (he has cancelled the original contract)

Now if their system comes in to £6.5k like the others have I'd certainly be happy to look at it. I didn't have a problem with the company itself, just the pricing,

Thoughts on this?

If their quote comes in at £6.50p I'd still stay well away! If a company starts making claims that they can suddenly reduce the price when they didn't offer it before, then you can be pretty sure that they were out to fleece you and that they are not to be trusted. And quite frankly I don't believe that they are getting big discounts.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Thoughts on this?

If the company was any good the person speaking to you would be able to give you the up to date price. Also if they are that busy why would they need your business?

Sounds to me like they need your business hence why they are coming back to you.

Would they have comeback to you with a lower price if you had gone ahead with it? I think not.

If they want the business that bad and you want to do business with them tell them 4.5K to 5K and you would be happy to go ahead.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Hellfire8
    Options
    £6,000 is what they can do, dropping it down by £3,400.

That price does seem reasonable to me.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 November 2018 at 4:10PM
    Options

If they are quoting 6K then the cost price to them is probably around 3K.

They are not making 3.4K saving on 14 panels that is for sure!

You should be paying around say £200 max per panel nothing more. Inverter around £500

Try googling your panels and see what you come up with.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Seriously. Just don't go there.

Also if a company thinks you've got the best deal from them, they are going to make you very low priority compared to their bigger paying customers, so I wouldn't expect great customer service, responsiveness to problems down the line (which can and do occur) or any further room for negotiating if it's needed. Go with someone who wanted you business at a fair price in the first place.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Personally, I have trouble with the moral side of this. The company comes up on here continuously with very, very high prices supported by a load of BS, then when the posters cancel they start to get better prices due to (insert tired old DG excuse of your choice here).

If you can't trust anything they say, can you trust their work, their quality, their guarantees etc?

If you personally are relatively happy with them, then pop the deal in your back pocket and have a shop around. But note none of their claims are new - 4kWp is the max you can install .... nope. Prices are competitive as we use the best kit ...... nope. Repayment will be really quick due to consumption of all generation ...... nope (even in your atypical case).
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure