2»

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So would it be better to:

A. Press Halfords to deal with the fine

Or

B. Ignore and Keep sweating over letters that may or may not arrive.

If it was Halfords' carpark, and you were there because you were waiting on them, then surely A. contacting Halfords would be the first port of call.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Bigisi....

So what exactly was the "stupid response"?
  • Bigisi....

So what exactly was the "stupid response"?

Weren't they referring to #5 from RealGem "advising" the OP to ignore the charge?

Couldn't have been stupider even if they intended it to be stupid.

RealGem also seems to think local councils hand out parking "fines". They don't unless their area is not decriminalised.

Also I don't think the police hand out fines - only courts do.
  • Oh thanks.
    That's my stupidity.....
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So would it be better to:

A. Press Halfords to deal with the fine

Or

B. Ignore and Keep sweating over letters that may or may not arrive.

A Insist Halfords get the parking company to cancel the fraudulent invoice.
    Followed by:
    C. Respond the parking scammers as described in the parking sub-forum, unless you live in Scotland/NI where you should just ignore it.

Absolutely do not pay it unless somehow it goes to a court and the judge makes you, but that's hugely unlikely and you can do so in the knowledge that the parking company just spent £500+ to get £100 from you.
  • Herzlos wrote: »
    A Insist Halfords get the parking company to cancel the fraudulent invoice.
    Followed by:
    C. Respond the parking scammers as described in the parking sub-forum, unless you live in Scotland/NI where you should just ignore it.

Absolutely do not pay it unless somehow it goes to a court and the judge makes you, but that's hugely unlikely and you can do so in the knowledge that the parking company just spent £500+ to get £100 from you.

All good advice - we should have directed you to the parking sub forum earlier. (My excuse is I steer clear of it because it's a bit complicated, but the advice you will get is good.)

So long as you take the right steps and follow the correct procedure, you ought to be able to avoid the charge.

Have you yet asked (or told!) Halfords to get their parking contractor to cancel the charge because it was Halfords fault you overstayed?
  • Most modern cars run a Can-Bus network on interior entertainment systems, once the network is disrupted with a non can-bus product it can interrupt the functions of other entertainment related factory fitted products like satnav to have a sat nave you would have a digital aerial tucked away in the boot/roof for it some manufacturers use this for the radios too but others run a separate aerial. Getting the wrong facia is in excusable TBH, you really cannot get this wrong unless you blind or impaired by drugs or alcohol, there's even idiot proof catalogues available for them to cross check and reference from in store. My guess is that they have fitted a Non Compliant can bus model of product to your vehicle that is now shut down your satnav as it has interrupted the can network linked to the stereo (it cannot "see or detect" the stereo is present). Either this, have connected the wrong wires, Sometimes its as easy swapping two wires, or a Add on harness needs to be installed and configured correctly.

The fine you received is wholly Halfords fault and you should return to store with the fine and ask the manager to call the parking enforcement company to have it cancelled, if they refuse shame them over twitter and facebook, and come back to the parking forums for help in defending the contract contravention letter they have sent you.

My advice on the stereo, Have it removed, get a refund, have your old one refitted, Go to a local small stereo fitting business who can sit down with you and go through the whole process of buying the correct one, fitting it correctly and warrantying their work.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The person responsible for the car is responsible for any tickets. That was Halfords and not you.

I have used Halfords a couple of times to refit completely outmoded head units on 10 year old plus vehicles, but would be quite wary of letting them near anything that had something moderniish like an integrated Satnav for them to monkey about with.

I suspect the broken sat nav is down to something they couldn't fix in a month of Sunday's. I got my first car back and all the heater control lights had stopped working. I took it back and they said a bulb had blown and I would have to find one myself and then they'd fit it for me.

I got the tools out and had a look myself, realising in the process how easy it is to fit a car stereo myself, and figured out that it was just a loose connection in the bulb. On the whole you are better off doing things yourself on your car if at all possible.
  • Thanks everyone getting them to remove it and put is as before with a complete refund, still waiting on confirmation that the parking fine has been cancelled
  • sithmaster wrote: »
    Thanks everyone getting them to remove it and put is as before with a complete refund, still waiting on confirmation that the parking fine has been cancelled
    I would have them phone the company infront of me, and request proof of cancellation from them. you could also take to twitter https://twitter.com/Halfords_uk?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    And make a complaint to them openly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport