PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Calling up notice arrived from landlord's lender.

Options
pinklady21
pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
edited 8 November 2018 at 9:44PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hello all
Well this week's unexpected drama is the arrival of a calling up notice from my landlord's mortgage lender requesting full repayment of his loan within 2 months.

Scotland - we are tenants on a PRT, now in 5th month. We intend to leave early in 2019 anyway, as this tenancy is temporary until the house we have bought is ready to move into.

I have always adhered to the terms of my mortgage..... so have not ever seen such a notice. Can anyone more knowledgeable than me please advise:

1. Am I correct to assume this has been issued as the landlord is behind with the mortgage payments?
Could there be any other reason?

2. Should I send the notice (keeping a copy) to the landlord's agent? (landlord lives abroad) Should I ask for an explanation of where this leaves us as his tenants?

3. The notice was sent by recorded delivery, but we did not sign for it, it was simply posted through the letterbox. Does this affect the validity of it?

4. As the landlord has 2 months to remedy matters with the mortgage co, (assuming we send the notice to him as point 2 above), what should we do in the meantime?

5. Should we contact the lender? or their solicitors? (there are no contact details on the letter) What should we say to them?

6. Should we withhold payment of rent - ie keep it in a separate account, but not pay to landlord for now and offer it to lender at some future point instead? I cannot see any evidence that our deposit has been protected, should I advise him that I wish to use this to pay the next month's rent?

7. What is the mechanism for the lender to apply to repossess the property? I assume that at the expiry of the 2 months in the calling up notice, the lender then has to apply (I assume to the Sheriff court) for a possession / ejection order?
How long is this likely to take?

8. If we were to serve notice on our landlord now, giving more than the required 28 days under the PRT, and taking us to say February 2019, would this still be valid if the lender proceeds with repossession proceedings?

9. If we served a longer period of notice per point 8, and then decided to leave earlier than we stated on the notice to leave, would be remain liable for payment of rent until the end of the notice period we gave?

10. The property is a farm, of which we rent the farmhouse under a PRT. Is there any chance this might count as a non residential property?

Sorry for so many questions! Thank you in advance.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This letter was addressed to your landlord?

If so, you didn't have the right to open it?
  • pinklady21
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »

No - addressed to The Occupier, with a copy of the calling up notice with my landlord's name on it. I can see why the subject line in my o/p appeared ambiguous and have now edited it to make it clearer, I hope.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options

I think the prequel was a different thread where it was debated that you actually can open it.

Feel for you op x
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    1. Am I correct to assume this has been issued as the landlord is behind with the mortgage payments?

End of mortgage term.

Breach of mortgage conditions eg letting a property on a residential mortgage.

Mortgage arrears.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pinklady21 wrote: »

Could there be any other reason? yes

2. Should I send the notice (keeping a copy) to the landlord's agent? (landlord lives abroad) Should I ask for an explanation of where this leaves us as his tenants? yes and yes (but don't necessarily believe the answer)

3. The notice was sent by recorded delivery, but we did not sign for it, it was simply posted through the letterbox. Does this affect the validity of it?
    Scotland? I don't know. In England - no.

4. As the landlord has 2 months to remedy matters with the mortgage co, (assuming we send the notice to him as point 2 above), what should we do in the meantime? shop for christmas if you celebrate it) and plan for your new home.

5. Should we contact the lender? or their solicitors? (there are no contact details on the letter) What should we say to them? so who is the letter from? No contact details at all? I find that hard to believe.
    Respond briefly making yourself known to them along with your tenancy position.

6. Should we withhold payment of rent - ie keep it in a separate account, but not pay to landlord for now and offer it to lender at some future point instead? I cannot see any evidence that our deposit has been protected, should I advise him that I wish to use this to pay the next month's rent? No. You have a valid tenancy. Pay the rent you owe to your landlord!
    No, but check with the deposit schemes.

7. What is the mechanism for the lender to apply to repossess the property? I assume that at the expiry of the 2 months in the calling up notice, the lender then has to apply (I assume to the Sheriff court) for a possession / ejection order?
    Scotland so.. no idea and no idea.

8. If we were to serve notice on our landlord now, giving more than the required 28 days under the PRT, and taking us to say February 2019, would this still be valid if the lender proceeds with repossession proceedings?
    I imagine so. In England yes. In Scotland ....?

9. If we served a longer period of notice per point 8, and then decided to leave earlier than we stated on the notice to leave, would be remain liable for payment of rent until the end of the notice period we gave?
    I imagine so. In England yes. In Scotland ....?

10. The property is a farm, of which we rent the farmhouse under a PRT. Is there any chance this might count as a non residential property?
    I imagine not. In England yes. In Scotland ....?
    Sorry for so many questions! Thank you in advance.
    ...................................................................................................
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    pinklady21 wrote: »
    There could be other reasons but it's almost certainly because of a default in payment.
    2. Should I send the notice (keeping a copy) to the landlord's agent? (landlord lives abroad)
    If you like, but the landlord will almost certainly know they're in default as these notices aren't served instantly they miss a payment.
    Should I ask for an explanation of where this leaves us as his tenants?
    If you like, but they don't need to discuss it with you.
    Not in the slightest. Just needs to be sent by recorded delivery.
    4. As the landlord has 2 months to remedy matters with the mortgage co, (assuming we send the notice to him as point 2 above)
    You don't need to send him a copy, he'll have been sent one to his own address.
    what should we do in the meantime?
    Normal procedures apply, from your point of view. Carry on paying the rent. These things will often be sorted out by the borrower finding the cash to settle the arrears.
    5. Should we contact the lender? or their solicitors? (there are no contact details on the letter)
    Surely the notice has come from the solicitors, and their contact details are on the letter?
    What should we say to them?
    "Hello, we are living in the property and are tenants". Or something along those lines.
    6. Should we withhold payment of rent - ie keep it in a separate account, but not pay to landlord for now and offer it to lender at some future point instead?
    No.
    I cannot see any evidence that our deposit has been protected, should I advise him that I wish to use this to pay the next month's rent?
    No, but you have alternative remedies if he has failed to protect your deposit (have you actually checked?).
    Yes, and months. Sounds like you'll probably be away before that happens.
    Yes
    Yes (unless you in the meantime serve a valid alternative period of notice).
    The farmhouse on its own? That's a residential property. The fact you have a view of somebody else's cows doesn't change that.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

You’re not telling me after all the years on the board you still think this is true.

Post is sent to addresses, not people.

The OP is not intending to use the info to the landlords detriment.

She had every right to open it.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Re the comments about continuing to pay the rent, given the LL is likely in deficit to their mortgage lender, is abroad, and hasn't protected the deposit, I suggest it would be much more pragmatic to ensure that by whatever date the OP leaves, they've recovered their deposit by not paying their rent for whatever period works to accomplish that.
    Because otherwise even though in theory they can recover it, get 3x etc, in practice the LL may not have the money and may be unreachable even if they do.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2018 at 10:13AM
    Options
    You’re not telling me after all the years on the board you still think this is true.

Post is sent to addresses, not people.

The OP is not intending to use the info to the landlords detriment.

She had every right to open it.
    Besides, as noted above it's addressed to the occupier - the whole point of it is to give notice to whoever is at the property that it's at risk of being repossessed. The landlord gets their own copy sent to them.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options

As long as the OP wasn't intending to act maliciously with the contents - they were perfectly ok to open it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure