Automatic renewal failed - I have no home cover

Options

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SabNys wrote: »
    But remember that during the phone conversation in 2017, I mentioned (a) that I did not want to accept the postal quote, but instead (b) I wanted to accept the online quote.

Did you then go online and accept the quote?
  • SabNys
    SabNys Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Zorillo wrote: »
    From the insurer's perspective, if you phone them and tell them you want to lapse your current policy in order to take out an online quote, they're likely to expect you to go online and incept the new cover yourself.

But as I mentioned earlier, exactly the same postal/online quote worked OK with LV in 2016 after a single phone call. I think that's exactly what would happen if I had a postal quote from LV, and a better online quote from Company X. If LV wanted to undercut the online quote, it would be done in a single phone call.

However, as you suggest, if the same situation arises in the future, I'll (a) cancel, then (b) go online and accept the quote.

Thanks.
  • SabNys
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    Has an incident occurred that you want to make a claim for?

Thankfully no.
  • SabNys
    Options
    I always check my insurance has renewed a couple of weeks after renewal.

That's a new type of action to add to my calendar and ToDo list.

Thanks.
  • SabNys
    Options
    No. Just years of experience in the industry.

That suggests that you are aware of many cases where a customer asked the insurance company for either:

- a copy of the tape
    or
    - an acknowledgement that the customer's assertions were valid

and been refused in all cases.

It seemed surprising that the press haven't been reporting these incidents, so I found the following link just now:
    https://www.callcentrehelper.com/data-protection-act-and-call-recording-57146.htm

There's loads of info, but here's a quote relating to the minimum storage time for recorded calls:

- an insurance policy quote is only held for 15 months if it is not enacted

My cancelled postal insurance quote would have started on 15 Aug 2017. So, if my call to LV had been less than 7 days prior to that, then the recording would still be available until today or later.

Thanks.
  • SabNys
    Options
    rs65 wrote: »
    Did you then go online and accept the quote?

No, because as mentioned elsewhere, the double quote situation was handled correctly by LV in 2016.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Most calls aren't recorded - only a small percentage and that varies by FS provider. Their primary function is for compliance and training.

If you believe there is a copy and want to hear it, a SAR would arguably reveal it.

There's no minimum storage time, but there needs to be a maximum for any customer data storage, as defined within the business' privacy policy. Data should be retained for the duration of its stated purpose.
  • AstroTurtle
    AstroTurtle Posts: 290 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2018 at 11:36AM
    Options
    It's likely the call centre who handled your original renewal processed your request to not renew the policy, But simply stating your going for one you've seen with them Online would automatically mean they live that policy for you unless they stated they would do.

Especially given if you got the quote via a comparison site they need the references etc to ensure they can see the quote and can incept it so the comparison site earns it's commission.

They may turn around and say the onus was on you to take out your new policy with them online.

As ZX81 says most call recording message say "Calls will be recording for training & quality purposes" that means the insurer can only use call recordings in accordance with that. I've known of instances where PPI complaints where the bank have got the call recoding of a customer openly saying they want it and are calling because they want it but the PPI complaint has been upheld cause the bank can't use that as evidence because their privacy notice didn't say the could.

But worth submitting a subject access request to LV to see if they have it and you can see copies of their notes also which could help you with any complaint. They usually have to give you all copies within 30 days of proof of identity being received.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you haven't suffered a claimable event then arrange a new policy now and be happy you got away with a free period.

If you want to raise it with them and get it reinstated, then I am sure they will be happy to take the back payment from you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In 2016 the consumer service person may have agreed to renew the policy at the same rate as the online quote. They often agree to do this.

However, in 2017 the online quote was treated a separate transaction. That price was not available over the phone. They did not agree to renew at the online amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure