Selling Car-Private Sale

Options
13»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As suspected the buyer has today contacted us saying that there's a problem with the car and wants us to pay for it. I knew this would happen.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As suspected the buyer has today contacted us saying that there's a problem with the car and wants us to pay for it. I knew this would happen.
    And will you?
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    What is 'the problem'?
  • earlsgate
    earlsgate Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 November 2018 at 11:04PM
    Options
    surely it was "sold as seen" so no comebacks to the private seller as was seemingly made clear at the time.

my advice is not to budge an inch. any problem is his not yours

make a note of any further communication but do not respond
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Options
    Keep a copy of the advert, as long as you were honest to the best of your knowledge and did not do anything to hide known serious faults, You have nothing to worry about.

There are too many buyers expecting Dealer Sale rights from a private sale. Be polite but firm in stating your position.

Signed bits of paper stating "Sold as Seen" private Sale etc are all pretty meaningless it is very much on the onus of the buyer if they wish to seek court redress to prove you lied and that it's anything other than a private sale.
    These are thrown out of court every day, but not every case due to lies etc.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Guess we are not going to hear what 'the problem' was; shame.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Options
    Guess we are not going to hear what 'the problem' was; shame.
    Patience grasshopper.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ed, I want to say something witty, but unfortunately I'm all out.

Something has failed on the car and he believes that it's linked to one of the issues we listed in the advert. I have googled this part failing and we haven't had any indication that the part may have been faulty. The issue indicated has been there for 2 plus years. I have looked up the failing part and we haven't had any of the problems it would cause if it was about to give up.

I have kept everything including advert, written dialogue, receipt etc. We explained to him that we had absolutely no idea that there was a problem with this part. It has caused none of the problems that it should have whilst we owned it. He seems to have backed off at the moment, so hoping that it stays that way. We are absolutely not paying for any repairs. We were as honest as we could be. To our knowledge there was nothing wrong with the car and it had been driving fine up until we sold it.

Thanks for the advice. We are definitely digging our heels in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure