PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Suspicious of seller and EA

Options

Comments

• TuppenceWorth
    Options
    OP.
    Have you lived in a remote/rural location before?
    Leaving the price to one side, make sure you are not romantacising. Use your head as well as your heart.

Several years unsold should strengthen your bargaining power. I would agree that no point reducing an offer that has been rejected already.
  • ironmanjason
    Options
    flayster wrote: »
    We recently viewed a house and put in an offer. The EA told us that there were other interested parties and the house hadn't been on the market for very long. The house is on the market for £109095 and we offered £97750 (refused) based on the house needed a new kitchen and cosmetic work (all rooms need redecorating). It is in a rural area and off gas grid. I have since discovered that the house has been on the market and taken back off again for 3 times over the past 7 years with prices varying between £95k to £104k with different EAs. The photos show the house looks more or less the same inside and out and no major work done since 2004. Should I be worried? I was going to increase my offer but based on this I am thinking of reducing it or withdrawing altogether. We are first time buyers so limited experience Grateful for any constructive advice please.

I was in a very similar position a few weeks ago.. a house which was on and off market with a few agents over the last 2-3 years.. when I viewed the property I asked about it and was told the previous agents could not bring in traffic to the house or get offers on it which I think now would not be the case.. I had offered close to the asking price and had the offer accepted.. but alas a week later they call and pull out the day survey was instructed and why? they owners changed their mind as they feel property is worth more and want to wait a couple years and again re-list..

I think in the current market (at least in London) from what I have seen is only the folk who really need to sell and move (for work/school/move abroad) are the one's who will stick to the sale.. the rest of them trying to downsize are usually holding out for bigger sums when the market swings back up.. but again this is my view based on the experience I have had when looking for houses in SW London.. If you ask me I suggest if you do end up offering and getting accepted get a Home buyers protection insurance as its useful if the seller pulls out.

Make £2019 in 2019 Challenge - £272.48/£2019
  • burnsguitarman
    burnsguitarman Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2018 at 6:32PM
    Options
    We have had our house on the market 3 times, and each time found a buyer fairly quickly. The problem is US, we have specific needs as to what we want, and each time, there has been nothing on the market, for months after finding a buyer. We have always been upfront, with estate agents and buyers, saying we are looking for a particular type of property, (condition and area is not a problem). It is so disheartening, not to find what you want. I have always asked buyers not to instruct a solicitor until we have found a suitable property, so no money only time has been lost.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    We have had our house on the market 3 times, and each time found a buyer fairly quickly. The problem is US, we have specific needs as to what we want, and each time, there has been nothing on the market, for months after finding a buyer. We have always been upfront, with estate agents and buyers, saying we are looking for a particular type of property, (condition and area is not a problem). It is so disheartening, not to find what you want. I have always asked buyers not to instruct a solicitor until we have found a suitable property, so no money only time has been lost.

Sounds like you need to find the property you want first - and then put your house on the market.

Stops people getting their hopes up that your current house is actually available - when it doesnt sound as if it is at present.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if you sold and then rented while you do your house-hunting?
  • burnsguitarman
    Options
    If only it worked like that! It doesn't around here, Unless you are a cash buyer who can proceed without selling first. As I said, we have always been up front.
  • burnsguitarman
    Options
    I was merely pointing out, to the OP, that there could be lots of reasons why a property is put on the market repeatedly, it needent be suspicious.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If only it worked like that! It doesn't around here, Unless you are a cash buyer who can proceed without selling first. As I said, we have always been up front.
    First, you said, "condition and area is not a problem."

Now, "it doesn't work like that around here."

It worked for us. We were looking in 7 counties and finding what we required took 9 months. Well worth the hassle though.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2018 at 7:03PM
    Options
    I think the OP was including the whole range of reasons why a house may not "really" be for sale - and that didn't just include anything to do with that particular house itself (such as the state or location of it). But also anything that might have to do with the vendors not having firmly decided "It will be sold - right now".

I can sympathise with that - as (officially speaking) I'm still in the process of buying a house I started buying 30 years ago and subsequently found out at least one person before me hadnt been able to get it from the vendor, then at least one person after me hadnt been able to get it from the vendor. I don't know just how long all that went on for - just that someone did manage to get it from the vendor eventually (but it wasnt me....).

EDIT; Just looked up "my" house on Nimbus Maps - it was sold in 1997 (10 years after I started buying it), then 2004, then 2011, then 2016 - so it'll be totally lost in the mists of time by now that I'm supposed to be the owner of it. I'd probably still be living in it too.......rather than several hours travel away in a very different location.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OP.
    Have you lived in a remote/rural location before?
    Leaving the price to one side, make sure you are not romantacising. Use your head as well as your heart.

Might there not be a logical reasons for living in a rural environment?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure