Pension for Child?

mcooke999
mcooke999 Posts: 196 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 8 November 2018 at 2:37PM in Savings & investments
Has anyone set up a pension for their child?

If you are happy sharing then I'd also be interested to know how much you put in either initially and/or monthly. Assuming the latter, how long do you intend on contributing?

Have you set up a pension for your child? 36 votes

Yes
11% 4 votes
No
88% 32 votes

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh great. A poll that will automatically bump the thread to the top despite no-one posting.

Does it really matter what other people have done? Everyone is unique and decisions will be made on their own circumstances. Surely you should be considering your own circumstances rather than worrying about others.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Surely that depends entirely on how much money you have available that you don’t need?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    In most cases i think this is a poor idea.
    There are much better uses that can be made of the money that will be much more help to the child much earlier in life (that will in many cases mean they can set up their own pension anyway whereas setting up a pension will not help them with education or a house). I'd say its only really a good idea if you've exhausted other options such as building up money for education and housing that can be used at a much earlier age. And also you can see them get the benefit of.

Its also burning your boats, the money is irrevocably committed for some 50 or 60 years hence, many events could transpire in that time making it irrelevant /unwanted (maybe they "go off the rails" at a later age, and you wish you hadnt committed to give them money at all).

It could even engender annoyance, eg "if only you had given me that £20k for the extra deposit to get me started on a house / that course to be a pilot / those doctors studies, now I've got to wait 50 years for a pension instead, fat use that is now when i need it".

Its also a sad fact that at a very young age, something like 1 in 10 wont live long enough to see that pension anyway.
  • AnotherJoe wrote: »

Its also a sad fact that at a very young age, something like 1 in 10 wont live long enough to see that pension anyway.

Not to mention the possibility of losing half or more in Divorce:sad
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,271 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Perhaps we need a re-run of this poll:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5858591

Polls bumping threads is the most annoying feature of this forum (I can turn off the horrible white theme, otherwise that would be #1).

PS I voted no in this poll because I don't have any children. Hope that feedback is helpful ;)
  • I clicked yes, but it's actually my dad who puts the money in for my son via DD each month. It's a gamble in terms of "the world could be a very different place in 50-60 years" but the money benefits from tax relief and hopefully the benefit of time in the market. He also contributes to a JISA for my son as well (I know, my son's very lucky) so hopefully both bases are covered.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Totally agree with AnotherJoe on this one the tax benefit is marginal (as the child will probably have to pay tax as a pensioner) and there are usually far better things to do with the money that would give the child a better start in life.

Also it's nice to leave the child some things that they can achieve for themselves. I wouldn't have wanted my parents to waste a proportion of my LTA by making child pension contributions. I plan to use my remaining LTA exclusively for higher rate tax relief.

Alex
  • macgyver
    macgyver Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Alexland wrote: »
    Totally agree with AnotherJoe on this one the tax benefit is marginal (as the child will probably have to pay tax as a pensioner) and there are usually far better things to do with the money that would give the child a better start in life.

Also it's nice to leave the child some things that they can achieve for themselves. I wouldn't have wanted my parents to waste a proportion of my LTA by making child pension contributions. I plan to use my remaining LTA exclusively for higher rate tax relief.

Alex
    I very much agree with Alexland's point here
    I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T
  • Agree that there are very many more useful things that you can do in the here and now that would have a (potentially) greater benefit. For example - funding their education (either full-blown private school, or extra tutoring or, later, funding their university costs), paying towards hobbies (horse riding, ice skating, golf don't come cheap and who knows where your child's interest/talents may lie - or what they may lead to). I'm sure you can think of more - in fact just being able to afford to live in a decent area with decent schools will benefit them.

One of my husband's relatives scrimped and saved to put money into a savings account for him. When it matured he got £800. He earns that in a day now.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • I put some money into a junior sipp and junior isa with Hargreaves lansdown. I believe by doing both it protects them against the possibility of spending the lot down the pub when they're 18 if it were all to be in an isa
    depends on everyones circumstances
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport