Guest Comment: Don't lose out for being loyal to your insurer - MSE News

Options
Christopher Woolard, executive director of strategy and competition at the Financial Conduct Authority, explains why the regulator is examining how insurance firms set prices. Views do not necessarily reflect those of MoneySavingExpert.com...
Read the full story:
'Guest Comment: Don't lose out for being loyal to your insurer'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hastings direct were a prime example.
    renewal of my dads insurance £430. up from £330 the year before.
    no accidents and an additional years no claims bonus.

yet getting quotes, hastings were coming up at £270??? for exactly the same insurance!

so what do they justify the additional £160 for?

if a firm wants to clearly rip off its existing customers, then its not getting my dads business ever again. or mine!
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stop calling it a Loyalty Penalty!!!

I'm not harsh enough to say 'Loyalty' should be full-on replaced with 'Laziness', because there are a number of examples why people don't shop around (anxiety, access to technology, mental capacity etc.).

However, I still think the words 'loyalty penalty' being used all over the place is completely inappropriate, as if these customers are some kind of martyrs. You would almost always be able to stay 'loyal' to your insurance provider without paying as much as the proposed renewal price. It would take one quick phone call. People who describe THEMSELVES as a 'loyal' customer being taken advantage of after auto-renewing for years are even more annoying than regulators using the phrase 'loyal customers' to engender (mostly unwarranted) sympathy for them.

Something more neutral like 'inertia penalty' would be much more appropriate - neither disrespecting people who don't actively switch, nor praising them like it feels calling them 'loyal' does. Of course that wouldn't fulfil the regulators' need to appear all virtuous about helping what is, by and large, a group of lazy people.
  • sammyg123
    Options
    I shop around for both my wife's and my insurance and have no loyalty to insurance companies as there is no consistency or rationale for some of the quotes I have received, nor can they explain to me when I ask relevant and pertinent questions why a cost is a, b or c. An example ....my wife's insurance according to her renewal cost last month has gone up 45% in 2 years with the same car. Despite all the information I can find from independent research, insurance costs haven't gone up by this and she sits in the 2nd lowest group for claims. So in shopping around, directly contacting insurers, and using a cashback site, her insurance believe it or not is now for this year lower than it was 2 years ago.... and with whom...the insurer who quoted her renewal this year!! My insurer quoted almost 3 times her renewal price and just couldn't give an explanation. The words profiteering and rip off spring to mind.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What's special with insurance companies?

How is this different from banks paying huge bonuses for switching? From internet providers offering cheap 12-18 months deals to new customers only? From credit card companies? Huge cashbacks?

After 18 months Plusnet's price jumped to £34 while being £24 for new customers. In % terms this is MUCH worse than what insurers do.
    Of course I switched to BT where after all cashbacks I pay on average £20 during 18 months. And guess what the price will be after 12 months. £44.

That said, despite grumbling, I am happy with the status quo as I am not lazy and like to be rewarded for shopping around and switching.

In the best cases insurance companies even paid me for having house insurance with them.

I made about £200 (net) by buying a cheap life insurance through TCB that will be cancelled after 6 months. Happy days.
  • NiNi
    Options
    Hi everyone. It is my sincere wish that this post finds itself on the desk of Christopher Woolard who is investigating renewal prices of motor insurers. Today, I received my Saga renewal. I have been with them for 10 years. Today's cost is shown as £269. I went into the Saga website and posing as a "new" customer, the quote is £162. Ok, I removed the extra PA cover (about £19) but added legal cover (about £30) AND increased my annual mileage. These adjustments will, undoubtedly, increase the renewal premium from the £269. What cost loyalty? Well, over £100, apparently.
    Forty and more years ago, studying for insurance institute examinations, the principal of "utmost good faith" was continually rammed home. So, where is Saga's utmost good faith? Would one insurance company please break ranks and start rewarding loyalty? Or do we have to accept that there is no honour at all in any business dealings and have to continually guard against being ripped off by household names that were once proud and meant something.
  • AstroTurtle
    AstroTurtle Posts: 290 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2018 at 11:02AM
    Options
    Lets just make insurance companies all charge us one consistent flat rate where we can't benefit from competition of a free market.

I don't think people realise this wont make year 2 premium cheaper, It will make year 1 premium more expensive so the renewal hike isn't as large because they lower the rates so much to write a certain number of year 1 new business to fulfil their requirements both regulatory and financially.

Most insurers don't care if you rejoin with them at a lower premium because your a small grain of sand in their beach which they need Year 1 premiums because of Year 5's claims cost ratio etc. Berating insurers who hike renewal premiums wont make them continue charging low discounted first time rates forever it will just make them all charge consistently higher premiums upfront if there's no competition because the regulator wont let them charge higher premiums for renewal customers which in essence will give all the market a free pass knowing their competitors can't undercut them either therefore making them safe to all hike the prices for new business with no competition.

The people who will lose out on this are those who actively shop around at renewal and keep their business to the best bidder and instead reward those who largely can't be bothered to shop around or simply forget (Yes I understand some can't access comparison sites or have a weird view that loyalty still exists in the commercial world) but regardless someone will lose. Everybody can't win.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • Cherryleaves
    Options
    I am always telling people the Latin phrase 'caveat emptor', but sometimes following your own advice takes longer.

This year I finally changed insurance company after accepting a much cheaper deal via a local insurance broker. The saving was about £100. I think I was shocked because I had initially got a really cheap deal via a union insurance company 10 years ago.

My inertia to change was based on the incorrect belief that the insurance company had my best interests at heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure