Tesco/Powerforce replacement 18v Battery

Got a Tesco/Powerforce 18v Battery Drill which I've had for a few years.
The drill itself is ok and serves me well.
But the Battery no longer holds its charge for much more than 3/4 days.

Searched high and low for a battery and seems Tesco no longer supports this drill.
All thats on the battery is CDD04CH-180B 18VDC and is Ni-Cd.

Although I cannot find a replacement battery, could I replace the existing small batteries with Li ion batteries or would that mean a change of charger too.
Or total no go with the drill itself with these batteries.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You'll need a new charger for lithium ion batteries.

Could you find nickel metal hydride in the same shape? They will be happy with the same charger.

BTW, have a look at Amazon. You might find the correct shape of battery for a different make of drill.
  • workingboy wrote: »
    Got a Tesco/Powerforce 18v Battery Drill which I've had for a few years.
    The drill itself is ok and serves me well.
    But the Battery no longer holds its charge for much more than 3/4 days.....

How often do you use the drill?

Unless you are using it regularly can you not just live with the short battery life?

Put it on charge a few hours before you need to use it.
  • To be honest, by the time you've replaced the N-Cad cells with li-ion ones and bought a new charger, you would probably be better off buying a new drill.
    Something like this:
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p
    for £50 and it comes with two batteries.
  • Thanks Guys.

Yes searched through flea bay to try and match, nothing.

Sound like the best options with costs etc, is the Screwfix option.
  • And then be in the same position in a few years? How about, spend more on a branded tool for which you can get replacement batteries from different suppliers.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Titan is fine. And somebody will be along in a minute to say how many different brands of drill use the same batteries as Titan.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • If that's the case, then "Problem Solved".

Buying a branded version of something might not seem like an obvious money saving tip, but you have to think about the total cost of ownership rather than the initial purchase price.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    troffasky wrote: »
    And then be in the same position in a few years? How about, spend more on a branded tool for which you can get replacement batteries from different suppliers.
    But if we "think about the total cost of ownership rather than the initial purchase price" then we will need to consider:-
    (a) The cost of replacement batteries (now and in the future)
    (b) The availability of replacement batteries when we need them in a couple of years time
    (c) Whether they will still work (if we hedge against (b) by buying them now and keeping them in a box until needed).

Does anyone want to do the maths?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • I started to do the maths, but...£50 doesn't get you very far in the branded power tools game. £110 is the starting point for a Dewalt kit for a comparable tool [with only one battery at that].

I think I must have been believing my own explanation to the Mrs as to why I'd spent so much on a Makita drill.

As you were!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport