Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 6th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    • 158Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should my housemate pay me back for my veg he's eaten?
    • 6th Nov 18, 4:36 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should my housemate pay me back for my veg he's eaten? 6th Nov 18 at 4:36 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

He keeps taking vegetables I've bought that are about to go 'out of date', presumably as they'll be past their best before when I get to them. Even if technically 'out of date', I often don't mind eating them, yet they're gone. Should I ask him to stop or for money to buy new stuff?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • m1kjm
    • By m1kjm 6th Nov 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 2,378 Thanks
    m1kjm
    • 6th Nov 18, 4:57 PM
    Deja Vu
    • 6th Nov 18, 4:57 PM
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5846023&highlight=leftovers&page= 2
    • Auntie-Dolly
    • By Auntie-Dolly 6th Nov 18, 5:52 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    Auntie-Dolly
    • 6th Nov 18, 5:52 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 5:52 PM
    Why do they do this? What is the point?
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 6th Nov 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 6th Nov 18, 6:35 PM
    Money moral dilema
    • 6th Nov 18, 6:35 PM
    Why do we have these? Surely if I had any advice I would contribute on the original thread.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 6th Nov 18, 6:55 PM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 10,993 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 6th Nov 18, 6:55 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 6:55 PM
    Why do we have these? Surely if I had any advice I would contribute on the original thread.
    Originally posted by suejb2
    Because they are questions emailed in by people that get the email from the site and may not even have forum accounts.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 6th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 11,633 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 6th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    Really? Really?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Nov 18, 7:21 PM
    • 18,740 Posts
    • 111,951 Thanks
    maman
    • 6th Nov 18, 7:21 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 7:21 PM
    Because they are questions emailed in by people that get the email from the site and may not even have forum accounts.
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    But surely the mse team have better things to do with their time than pass on this sort of nonsense.

They could change the newsletter to tell people to register on the forum if they want to post.

I don't think anyone likes these threads where the OP is absent. Yet they persist.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 6th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 10,993 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 6th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    They could change the newsletter to tell people to register on the forum if they want to post.
    Originally posted by maman
    Some people don't like social media so won't register for forums, facebook etc.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • LesD
    • By LesD 6th Nov 18, 10:13 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    LesD
    • 6th Nov 18, 10:13 PM
    • 6th Nov 18, 10:13 PM
    Mmd rip..............

(Anyone know why this software keeps insisting I want to type in lower case?)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Nov 18, 10:17 PM
    • 26,781 Posts
    • 57,011 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    But surely the mse team have better things to do with their time than pass on this sort of nonsense.
    Originally posted by maman
    QED: the very fact that they are doing so suggests not
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • marich
    • By marich 6th Nov 18, 11:35 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    marich
    Past your sell-by !
    Who dreams these up ? Really , they seem to get worse by the week.

Much like this guy's veggies , I'm feeling that whoever makes these up in MSE's office has to deserve a better rebirth ... What a way to earn your living !

Yeah , your pal is due you some veggies - but , hey , lighten up man ! How about moving out ?
    • chesky
    • By chesky 7th Nov 18, 6:37 AM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    chesky
    Hide your veggies under the bed.
    • kazt2006
    • By kazt2006 7th Nov 18, 6:57 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    kazt2006
    Tell him to leave your food alone - simple!
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 7th Nov 18, 7:56 AM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 1,543 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    The Sale of Veg Act 1975 chapter 4, para 7.3 states quite clearly that "vegetables and other perishable foods may be sold on the understanding that after the point of sale, consumption of said items are taken entirely at the risk of the purchaser".

However there is a further sub-para 7.10 which then states that "where more than one persons occupy the dwelling, other occupants are to ensure that the purchaser does not consume anything which may affect their health which in turn, may affect the health of other occupants."

Therefore, I'd say your housemate is looking doing their duty by looking after both of you.
    • Barryfan
    • By Barryfan 7th Nov 18, 10:00 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Barryfan
    Stealing is stealing
    I've not see any earlier posts, so my response is genuine.
    If your housemate is eating vegetables (without your permission) that you have bought, then this is stealing and you should tell him to stop!!
    • crmism
    • By crmism 7th Nov 18, 10:23 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    crmism
    Vegetables
    You haven't stated what kind of arrangement you have with your housemate when it comes to groceries that are nearing the ends of their consumable lives but, self-evidently, he treats what's his are his and what's yours are his, too.

He just might think he's helping you out, but he needs to be educated that dates on packaging are advisory only and that the food within is consumable for some time afterwards, and should be left alone so that you can finish them off when you wish.

You need to be very firm with him so that's he's under no illusion that what he's doing is theft, no matter what condition the vegetables are in when he steals them. If, through his own greed, he persists, you might think about buying for yourself a lockable refrigerator and keep your perishables in that. Asking him to do that instead won't work, as he'll persist in pinching your property.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 7th Nov 18, 10:28 AM
    • 5,300 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    John Gray
    You should evict your housemate immediately, and threaten to report him to the police for theft if he hasn't left by the time of the next yummy vegetarian meal...
    • REJP
    • By REJP 7th Nov 18, 10:59 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    REJP
    Really? Get a different housemate who is not selfish.
    Simple.
    • tain
    • By tain 7th Nov 18, 11:12 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    tain
    Who dreams these up ? Really , they seem to get worse by the week.

Much like this guy's veggies , I'm feeling that whoever makes these up in MSE's office has to deserve a better rebirth ... What a way to earn your living !

Yeah , your pal is due you some veggies - but , hey , lighten up man ! How about moving out ?
    Originally posted by marich
    Considering they probably get hundreds of suggestions a week, why on earth would they need to make them up?
    • tain
    • By tain 7th Nov 18, 11:14 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    tain
    Who are these people who can't have a basic conversation with their housemates, yet who are able to share food without asking?

Just talk to them, dammit. Or leave a note if that's too much to ask.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,450Posts Today

9,147Users online

Martin's Twitter