For anyone with a large DVD collection

Options

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I have a relative who actually works for a streaming company where you also get the DVD and they've had to remove multiple titles because they simply can't get the DVD anymore and I'm not talking particularly old or fringe films.
    Yeah this bothers me and is a huge reason why i like to own a copy of whatever i have.

I can't remember what film it was now but like you say it was a pretty well known one & we tried to find it on Kodi - couldn't get a stream. So we thought sod it we'll pay for it on YouTube, it should be cheap enough - wasn't listed. We had to watch something else instead.

It means you can access it over the local network by any compatible device. It's basically your own centralised server.

I wouldn't watch a movie on anything other than the TV to be honest. I'm not one of these people who can enjoy watching things like that on iPad's & iPhone's. The screen is fine (just about) for a YouTube video but nothing beyond that (my opinion). However the wife doesn't mind all that - so are the devices i just mentioned capable of doing that?
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    I have a 80cm wide x 200cm tall bookcase for DVDs. I have a matching 60cm wide bookcase with several extra shelves for CDs.

I also have five 80cm bookcases for books. All in my lounge.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • woolythoughts
    Options
    Rip DVDs to electronic file and store on hard drive which is back up frequently.

store originals in loft in case hard drive and its back up goes !!!!!!.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I have a 80cm wide x 200cm tall bookcase for DVDs. I have a matching 60cm wide bookcase with several extra shelves for CDs.

I also have five 80cm bookcases for books. All in my lounge.
    If i have any more furniture in my living room then there wont be any room for ME :rotfl:
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have all my old films and TV programs stored on a cheap computer i use as a server with a couple of large HDD's attached.

I run Plex Media Server on it which finds all the files and organises them by finding images for the cover and information about each film and tv series. I can then run plex on any of my TV's and search my collection and continue watching where i left off. I can also do this via any device with a web browser in and outside my home.

Much better than keeping loads of discs;i haven't bought many physical discs since i first got a media PC connected to my TV about 12 years ago. Any discs i do have i have put the cases in the loft and the discs are in two DVD folders but i haven't watched on in a very long time.
  • A_Pandiculation
    Options
    The first 15GB of cloud storage is free with a Google account ... as used with Android phones etc. too. No great cost there then, and there's more than Google out there PLUS I can't see Google disappearing overnight.

Modern routers (modem/routers) tend to have at least one USB port plus the ability to connect a portable hard disk to it. If your equipment doesn't have one a new router isn't expensive provided you do a little homework first. Connecting a disk to to your router means potentially you can watch your stored content anywhere.
    Modern smart TV's can usually access such a drive as can many smart Blu Ray players, so playback of original data stored on an external disc should be the same as the physical DVD provided your hardware is capable.

FYI I'm not exactly a youngster myself and as I said earlier all my watching is streamed.
    4K quality streamed can be, I assure you from personal experience, of far superior quality to standard DVD quality.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    I must be old and sad, but we have 300+ DVDs and we store them in a chest of drawers/merchants chest type unit under the wall mounted tv. I like others do like to have a copy, and we do look through for something we haven't watched for ages regularly. In fact we watched "Dr No" the other night.
    We did rationalise loads of stuff last year but my Disney classics are going nowhere!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The first 15GB of cloud storage is free with a Google account ... as used with Android phones etc. too. No great cost there then, and there's more than Google out there PLUS I can't see Google disappearing overnight.

Modern routers (modem/routers) tend to have at least one USB port plus the ability to connect a portable hard disk to it. If your equipment doesn't have one a new router isn't expensive provided you do a little homework first. Connecting a disk to to your router means potentially you can watch your stored content anywhere.
    Modern smart TV's can usually access such a drive as can many smart Blu Ray players, so playback of original data stored on an external disc should be the same as the physical DVD provided your hardware is capable.

FYI I'm not exactly a youngster myself and as I said earlier all my watching is streamed.
    4K quality streamed can be, I assure you from personal experience, of far superior quality to standard DVD quality.

If your router doesn't have a USB port your much better getting a NAS drive and connecting it to an Ethernet port. I would recommend this as the first option anyway as most routers only have USB 2.0 ports which will severely limit the transfer speed which will be an issue when moving large files.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In my experience Kodi & subtitles are very iffy. Out of 10 movies i only get subtitles on say 1 or 2. 2 may even be stretching it. Very annoying.

Fortunately if Kodi won't play ball on its own you can download a Subtitles SRT file yourself and Kodi will use that.
  • A_Pandiculation
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    If your router doesn't have a USB port your much better getting a NAS drive and connecting it to an Ethernet port. I would recommend this as the first option anyway as most routers only have USB 2.0 ports which will severely limit the transfer speed which will be an issue when moving large files.
    I did say "most modern routers" just for that very reason. Mine for example has both USB3 and USB2 and isn't a particularly whizz-bang do-all model.
    Not only that but I did point out earlier that a NAS might suit their needs. It doesn't suit mine though and a router to USB3-connected 5TB portable drive is both much more energy-efficient, convenient and cost-effective than a NAS.
    Horses for courses as they say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport