Any Point in Looking to Remortgage?

Options
Hi,

Our 5 year fixed rate Nationwide mortgage (3.29%) is due to end in June. My wife is 4 months into an 8 and a half year DMP for £6.5k credit card debt.

Is there any point in looking for a remortgage deal, or do I resign myself to being on the Natonwide BMR for ever? My MSE Credit club score is 988, my wife's is 390.

I think I know the answer :(

Thanks.
Mortgage Paid Off 5th October 2013
Back on with £71,000 July 2014
Current Balance £58402

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go for a remortgage deal with nationwide. If you are already with them They should not credit score you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • litepay
    litepay Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    You mean to switch to a new deal / product transfer with Nationwide? If OP stays with the same lender it's not called remortgage...

OP, you can switch to a new fixed deal online, there are no credit checks if you switch online and if you don't increase the amount borrowed and you keep the same term.

Be careful with the timing when you switch though, so that you don't pay ERC.

"Is your existing mortgage deal ending soon? You can apply to switch and reserve a new rate up to 5 months before the end of your fixed or tracker deal."

nationwide.co.uk/products/mortgages/existing-customer-switching/apply
  • Kwaker_Knacker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I know I'm a bit early to be looking with my current deal not ending until June, but HSBC (who I have my current account with) have a 5 year no fee fixed rate for 2.09%, with Nationwide having one at 2.14% (these are the only ones I've looked at so far with me having ties with both). So if we can just take a new Nationwide deal without getting credit checked, then that'll be great. In reality, the lack of hassle for 0.05% difference would have me going for the Nationwide deal anyway.

Just goes to show there's no point in assuming anything before checking with the MSE crowd, thanks for that. :T
    Current Balance £58402
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 October 2018 at 4:17PM
    Options
    I know I'm a bit early to be looking with my current deal not ending until June, but HSBC (who I have my current account with) have a 5 year no fee fixed rate for 2.09%, with Nationwide having one at 2.14%

You'll need to factor in the costs of switching lender. Mortgage exit fee, valuation fee and legal costs for example. Money that might be better spent clearing your wife's DMP quicker.

Will affordability be an issue? 102 months to clear a £6.5k debt. Suggests it might be. Treating the DMP as an interest free loan won't be viewed favourably either.
  • Kwaker_Knacker
    Options
    I see what you're saying, but because it's her debt, she sorts it. Bar making sure it's getting paid, I don't get involved. It's a very touchy subject at the best of times.
    Current Balance £58402
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 October 2018 at 11:58AM
    Options
    litepay wrote: »
    You mean to switch to a new deal / product transfer with Nationwide? If OP stays with the same lender it's not called remortgage...

OP, you can switch to a new fixed deal online, there are no credit checks if you switch online and if you don't increase the amount borrowed and you keep the same term.

"Is your existing mortgage deal ending soon? You can apply to switch and reserve a new rate up to 5 months before the end of your fixed or tracker deal."

Interesting indeed, when did Natwide change to up to 5 monthis from up to 3 months.
    I'll need to remember that for mid 20019.

OP -choose a deal online with Natwide -I've done that twice during SC DMP -though sometimes I have wished I could have lowered term to 10yrs, though no complaints from me.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Dandytf
    edited 17 October 2018 at 9:23PM
    Options
    litepay wrote: »

I'm still reading....your current deal is ending in the next 3 months

Edited
    @litepay, my error you could have posted the most important info of my mtg.
    I since reviewed existing Natwide Customers deal coming to end and it is as you had advised.
    You can apply to switch and reserve a new rate up to 5 months before the end of your fixed or tracker deal.

Amazing I'll take 5 months from Aug' 2019
    Maybe I'll choose a new deal from April 2019
    That could be amazing, only of course if interest rates don't fly upwards next few months.
    I'm very happy with the chance of a decent deal once again.
    Thanks!
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I see what you're saying, but because it's her debt, she sorts it. Bar making sure it's getting paid, I don't get involved. It's a very touchy subject at the best of times.

However it's your joint mortgage. Lenders aren't going to distinguish liability. When assets can be passly freely between husband and wife.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Secure Natwide message received today, their still quoting upto 3 not 5 months when switching to a new mortgage deal,. Whereas their website clearly states upto 5 months.
    Follow up secure message sent.
    I'll post once I get the correct answer.
    Not the 1st time info from Natwide website can be taken us useable as such.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I know I'm a bit early to be looking with my current deal not ending until June, but HSBC (who I have my current account with) have a 5 year no fee fixed rate for 2.09%, with Nationwide having one at 2.14% (these are the only ones I've looked at so far with me having ties with both). So if we can just take a new Nationwide deal without getting credit checked, then that'll be great. In reality, the lack of hassle for 0.05% difference would have me going for the Nationwide deal anyway.

Just goes to show there's no point in assuming anything before checking with the MSE crowd, thanks for that. :T

And Nationwide pay £100 retention (or at least they did with me 6 months back) which eats into their rate. Although despite rates going up, theyve dropped it by 0.05% so they might not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure