Child maintenance to 18 year old

Options

Comments

• chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you expecting your ex to maintain a home for him for long uni holidays? Will you expect him to get free board whilst he is at uni? If so, you may want to consider something to cover half the cost of having him at home - uni holidays are long and can place a high financial burden on parents who are on a low income.

Excuse me, 'my ex'? I'm 74 years old and a widow.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    Excuse me, 'my ex'? I'm 74 years old and a widow.

No need to be arsey about it, its obvious what the point of the post is, and its a sensible question.
  • chesky
    Options
    Not being arsey, just stating a fact. I said in my second post that it wasn't me. The poster obviously hadn't read it.

Also, I stated the current situation. They both earn more or less the same amount. They share their son's care. He's their only child and they both care about his welfare. When he goes to university, who knows what will happen. He may decide he's having such a good time wherever he is that he doesn't want to come back. Alternatively, he could be back every weekend, taking his laundry to his mother and expecting to be fed by his father. Who knows? That's not what I was asking.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    The other issue to consider is which parent the student's finances will be based on - SFE will normally assess the income of the "household" the student lives - see here for full details: https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1209/sfe_faqs_by_parents_fs_1718_d.pdf

Household income includes any partner of the parent.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SFE use income as per declared to HMRC as taxable so the CM wouldnt be taken into account. It will stop anyway at 18 so the father can give what he wants to who he wants.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    I'm sure they will discuss it - they're not on bad terms. He just wanted to know the legal situation in good time, before deciding any possible action.

And I don't think I said it was a friend - with or without quotation marks.

Sorry if I caused offence but as you were helping the person out by gathering information I made (an obviously wrong) assumption that he was a friend (or similar hence the quotation marks).

It's up to you how much information you give but, in my defence, it's not surprising if people fill in gaps and make wrong assumptions.
  • chesky
    Options
    Apology accepted; I hope you noticed that I did in fact thank you for the information. But I always get a trifle suspicious when people put the word friend in quotation marks - it's like when people put 'model' - has rather odd connotations and here it could have just as easily been neighbour, colleague, relative, etc.

Anyway, again thanks for the info - and to all the others who were helpful.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of the few decent things my ex husband has done post divorce is to continue his financial support of the children direct to them whilst they are at university...it's not a huge amount (the maintenance when paid to me wasn't either) but it helps them a lot. Even more surprising for everyone was that he did it on his own volition and with no pressure from any party to do so, he saw that I was helping and decided to match it with the money 'saved' from not having to pay maintenance anymore.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    SFE use income as per declared to HMRC as taxable so the CM wouldnt be taken into account. It will stop anyway at 18 so the father can give what he wants to who he wants.
    My point wasn't about CM being included as income, it was about which household's income is used, mother's or father's.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If he is staying at home to go to uni then consider maintaining the CM his mother will need it. If he is going away then some to him to help, especially if his mother does & he doesn't get the full maintenance loan. Suggest to him (fairly strongly) that in the long vac & maybe Xmas he gets a job & helps out his mother. If nothing else it will be good for his CV & both his parents pockets.

Just wondering - it is over 40 years since I worked at a university - do they still call it the long vac?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure