PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Quick question re. BTL

Options
I have a house that I rent out. It is worth approx 300k and I own outright (not mortgaged)

I want to buy another place - seen a place for 250k.

My question is do I take out a brand new BTL mortgage on the new property, or as someone advised me, mortgage the 300k house I already own and let, and take 150k from that (plus 100k deposit I now have) for buying the new place.

I don't see how it would make any difference? In both instance I'm estimating the LTR ratio would be less than 60 percent.

What is normal practice in this scenario?

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    thenap80 wrote: »
    I have a house that I rent out. It is worth approx 300k and I own outright (not mortgaged)

I want to buy another place - seen a place for 250k.

My question is do I take out a brand new BTL mortgage on the new property, or as someone advised me, mortgage the 300k house I already own and let, and take 150k from that (plus 100k deposit I now have) for buying the new place.

I don't see how it would make any difference? In both instance I'm estimating the LTR ratio would be less than 60 percent.

What is normal practice in this scenario?

Deja vu

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5803165
  • thenap80
    thenap80 Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »

Didn't get an answer last time matey!
  • The_Earl_of_Streatham
    Options

That sort of attitude is unlikely to get you one this time either.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The advantage of remortgage the existing is that you have cash in bank to buy the second. That can open up some properties that would be difficult to purchase with a mortgage (renovation, auction, non-standard construction, etc).

The disadvantage is you have money sat in bank costing interest whilst you look for your second purchase.

If your second purchase will be a normal mortgageable property then it makes no difference (as alread stated in the other thread).
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    really? I rather thought you got several in depth answers, including....

What I do struggle to get my head round though is why is it best to do it this way - tat is to say, why not just take out a new mortgage on the second property I would buy?
    kingstreet wrote: »
    You're right.

It makes no difference, whatsoever.
  • thenap80
    thenap80 Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sort of attitude is unlikely to get you one this time either.

Attitude? Excweez me? Bacon powder? It was a simple reply my friend!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to talk to your accountant or see one if you don't have one already
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure