Can anyone help with VeraCrypt - new user.

Options
As the header says. I've just installed VeraCrypt and gone through the instructions to create a new volume but when I copy an existing (docx.) file into it, it is not encrypted.

I'm obviously doing something wrong - can anyone help?

Comments

• stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can see the document because you've mounted the volume and entered the password.

What else were you expecting to happen?
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, I've created a volume and mounted it (I think) but when I copy an existing file into it, I can open that document without entering a password.

The instructions that I followed said "...files that are being written or copied to the VeraCrypt volume are automatically encrypted on the fly in RAM (right before they are written to the disk)."

That isn't happening.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need to enter a password to open or save files to an encrypted volume, you need a password to mount the volume. Then it behaves like any other mounted drive.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A Word document, Excel spreadsheet, etc, can itself be encrypted by entering a password.

As esuhl says, the entire contents of a VeraCrypt volume are encrypted, and you have to enter the VeraCrypt volume password when mounting it. The protection is being unable to access any of the files contained when the VeraCrypt volume is not mounted.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    OK, I'm obviously misunderstanding this whole business. I thought by doing this, I would have an area (drive, folder, whatever) that I could copy documents into (then delete the originals) and anyone stealing or getting access to my PC could not open said documents unless they enter the password. OK, maybe they should have to enter the password to get access to the encryption area but that's not happening for me.

I've copied a document into the volume (V: drive) and at the moment, all anyone has to do is navigate to the V: drive and there is my document which can just be opened in the normal way. No different to accessing all the other documents on the PC.

I can also get to my document by running VeraCrypt and double clicking on the line:

V: C:\Users\MyName\My Volume 9.8Mb Normal

No password needed at any point.

What am I missing here? Am I putting my document in the wrong place? Should I have to enter a password to actually get access to the V: drive?
  • JohnB47
    edited 13 October 2018 at 9:02PM
    Options
    Actually, hold on a mo.

Are you saying that I should dismount the volume every time I've finished accessing files contained in it, then go through the mounting procedure again (where the password is needed) when I need to access the files?

edit: OK, the answer is yes. I've just read the last of the instructions (Doh!) which says:

"If you want to close the volume and make files stored on it inaccessible, either restart your operating system or dismount the volume.

To make files stored on the volume accessible again, you will have to mount the volume."

I obviously made an assumption that at the end of this process I would simply have an area, containing encrypted files, that everyone could see but could not be accessible without a password.

Is that possible with other types of encryption software. This mounting/dismounting business seems a bit unwieldy.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    I obviously made an assumption that at the end of this process I would simply have an area, containing encrypted files, that everyone could see but could not be accessible without a password.
    Surely it is more secure if people cannot see the filenames of any of the files? Or are you just trying to tantalise them: 'you can see the filenames but not what is in them'?

If all these files are Office files, why not add a password to each, as I suggested previously?

Alternatively, see if the free version of Axcrypt does what you want.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    JohnB, have a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhJwPA6b2QA
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    Is that possible with other types of encryption software. This mounting/dismounting business seems a bit unwieldy.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Its not unwieldy at all. Set your volume to automatically mount every time you boot up the laptop. Then you just enter your Veracrypt password once and then have access to the V Drive or whatever you have specified.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When to shut down the laptop the V Drive will automatically dismount and all your files are encrypted.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Remember to move your browser and email profiles into the encrypted drive so that they also cannot be accessed.[/FONT]
  • JohnB47
    Options
    OK guys. I've understand now. Thanks for all the help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure