PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Intermediate landlord times out before hearing

Options
What happens if an owner leases to an intermediate non-resident landliord who rents out rooms on ASTs but as the lease approaches expiry the intermediate tries to evict the tenants yet fails to get hearing dates in time?

At the hearing is the application invalid if the intermediate lease has not been renewed? Or does the original owner "inherit" the partially done proceedings and take over the process? And do any arrears remain with the intermediate guy?

Comments

• Lost_Property
    Options
    I should clarify that the subletting is with the owner's consent, as the lease is some kind of "guaranteed" rent scheme.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My belief is that

1) there is a commercial tenancy between the owner (A) and their tenant (B).
    2) there are ASTs between B and his tenants (the sub-tenants) (C) (D) etc
    3) B cannot evict C D etc without a court order
    4) if there is no court order (and C, D etc do not 'surrender' their tenancies), then B cannot return the property to A at the expiry of his lease with vacant possession.
    5) A could I believe sue B for breach of contract, but
    6) A could not evict C, D etc and
    7) C, D etc would continue to owe rent (under their ASTs) to B

The whole business of these 'guaranteed rent schemes' is a potential nightmare for this reason - I would never touch them with a bargepole.
  • Lost_Property
    Options
    That's what I thought too. But if B is unable to make the payments to A and forfeits the lease (losing any deposit paid to A), from the date of forfeit the rent then becomes due to A, the superior landlord. Any possession hearing involving B and C, D after the date of forfeit would surely fail, yes?

However, any counterclaim could still be raised against B (and A too?).

Could A replace B after the forfeit in a hearing already scheduled by B but not happening until after the forfeit?

Could A 'purchase' the arrears off B and continue to claim it?

Would C or D's counterclaim(s) only be valid against B, say for harassment, disrepair, unprotected deposit, etc? Or would A inherit all of B's liabilities?
    Who is liable for the unprotected deposit penalty?

In the Protectiom from Eviction Act '77 it does mention that "Landlord" means the immediate landlord and any superior LL through which he derives title.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,602 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 4:31PM
    Options
    Lost property:

Are you tenant, named landlord on tenancy with occupant or owner or letting agent or solicitor? Or just a student doing research? Or someone trying to advise someone else?

There are two landlords in your example:

- Owner (landlord #1) rents to intermediate landlord (tenant #A).
    - Intermediate landlord (landlord #2) rents to occupant(s) - (tenant(s) #B).

What problem are you trying to solve, please?

Prevention of Eviction landlord refers to whoever is landlord in any qualifying tenancy (eg almost certainly Owner/Intermediate tenancy not covered by act.

Read s18 of HA 1988. Says if intermediate's tenancy ends (ah, but has it.., and if so how...) then owner takes over as landlord of occupant(s) on same terms... See....
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/section/18

re
    .............. the lease is some kind of "guaranteed" rent scheme.
    think you mean "guaranted" rent scam....

NB Owner has almost certainly breached terms of any mortgage and/or landlord insurance.
  • Lost_Property
    Options
    I'm one of the last remaining tenants. I'm refusing to leave without a possession hearing. The intermediate LL hasn't paid bills in months, is now threatening illegal eviction, probably hasn't paid the owner. 'Threatened" months ago to kick everybody out and hand the house back, but annoyingly hasn't done the second bit. He's invented a fictitious co-LL in whose name all the unpaid bills are in and put this name as a co-owner on a (possibly fabricated) version of the annual lease renewal - the original one just had the owner. The LL always refers to discussions with "The Landlord" as if he's only the agent acting on instructions (and the ASTa only refer to him as "The Landlord's Agent" without naming the actual superior LL/owner.
    The owner is some kind of family/business contact of the LL's father so I find it hard to believe there isn't some kind of collusion regarding the harassment.
    The intermediate tried issuing S8s and S21s but they appear faulty and haven't been followed through with court dates. Then he's offered "no need to go to court or pay arrears if you leave by end Nivember" but now he's retracted that and posted a bogus eviction notice for end of October claiming that he doesn't need a court order because we are lodgers due to sharing some facilities (with each other, not with a resident LL). This was in the name of the Tyler Durdenesque character that appears on all the bills but has otherwise never been seen or heard of, yet now has CCJs in his name, as does the intermediate LL himself.

Needless to say the house does not have the mandatory HMO licence, hence my thoughts on collusion by the "respectable" owner.

However dodgy the latter may be, it would be preferable if the internediate LL somehow dropped out of the equation so rent can start owing to the actual owner. The LL seems desparate to hand the hoyse back empty so the owner can do it up a bit and presumably re-let, but it-s a recentl built house so not hard to spruce up with tenants in situ. Estate covenants wouldn't permit carving up the house into smaller rooms either, even if the plan was for a "lockdown" conversion to exploit benefit rules.

Stuck in stalemate at the moment. If I instigated my own harassment proceedings could he counterclaim for possession due to arrears or only claim the money itself?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm one of the last remaining tenants. I'm refusing to leave without a possession hearing. The intermediate LL hasn't paid bills in months, is now threatening illegal eviction, probably hasn't paid the owner. 'Threatened" months ago to kick everybody out and hand the house back, but annoyingly hasn't done the second bit. He's invented a fictitious co-LL in whose name all the unpaid bills are in and put this name as a co-owner on a (possibly fabricated) version of the annual lease renewal - the original one just had the owner. The LL always refers to discussions with "The Landlord" as if he's only the agent acting on instructions (and the ASTa only refer to him as "The Landlord's Agent" without naming the actual superior LL/owner.
    The owner is some kind of family/business contact of the LL's father so I find it hard to believe there isn't some kind of collusion regarding the harassment.
    The intermediate tried issuing S8s and S21s but they appear faulty and haven't been followed through with court dates. Then he's offered "no need to go to court or pay arrears if you leave by end Nivember" but now he's retracted that and posted a bogus eviction notice for end of October claiming that he doesn't need a court order because we are lodgers due to sharing some facilities (with each other, not with a resident LL). This was in the name of the Tyler Durdenesque character that appears on all the bills but has otherwise never been seen or heard of, yet now has CCJs in his name, as does the intermediate LL himself.

Needless to say the house does not have the mandatory HMO licence, hence my thoughts on collusion by the "respectable" owner.

However dodgy the latter may be, it would be preferable if the internediate LL somehow dropped out of the equation so rent can start owing to the actual owner. The LL seems desparate to hand the hoyse back empty so the owner can do it up a bit and presumably re-let, but it-s a recentl built house so not hard to spruce up with tenants in situ. Estate covenants wouldn't permit carving up the house into smaller rooms either, even if the plan was for a "lockdown" conversion to exploit benefit rules.

Stuck in stalemate at the moment. If I instigated my own harassment proceedings could he counterclaim for possession due to arrears or only claim the money itself?

Your last sentence is most telling. Why are you in arrears? Whatever dodgy dealing your landlord has, if you have rent arrears you could be evicted in a matter of months. Are you looking for your next home? All very well digging your heels in, sooner or later you will be evicted or leave.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    I'm one of the last remaining tenants. I'm refusing to leave without a possession hearing. The intermediate LL hasn't paid bills in months, is now threatening illegal eviction, probably hasn't paid the owner. 'Threatened" months ago to kick everybody out and hand the house back, but annoyingly hasn't done the second bit. He's invented a fictitious co-LL in whose name all the unpaid bills are in and put this name as a co-owner on a (possibly fabricated) version of the annual lease renewal - the original one just had the owner. The LL always refers to discussions with "The Landlord" as if he's only the agent acting on instructions (and the ASTa only refer to him as "The Landlord's Agent" without naming the actual superior LL/owner. - All of this is totally irrelevant.
    The intermediate tried issuing S8s and S21s but they appear faulty and haven't been followed through with court dates. Then he's offered "no need to go to court or pay arrears if you leave by end Nivember" but now he's retracted that and posted a bogus eviction notice for end of October claiming that he doesn't need a court order because we are lodgers due to sharing some facilities (with each other, not with a resident LL). This was in the name of the Tyler Durdenesque character that appears on all the bills but has otherwise never been seen or heard of, yet now has CCJs in his name, as does the intermediate LL himself. - again mostly irrelevant.

Needless to say the house does not have the mandatory HMO licence, hence my thoughts on collusion by the "respectable" owner. - complain to council

However dodgy the latter may be, it would be preferable if the internediate LL somehow dropped out of the equation so rent can start owing to the actual owner. The LL seems desparate to hand the hoyse back empty so the owner can do it up a bit and presumably re-let, but it-s a recentl built house so not hard to spruce up with tenants in situ. Estate covenants wouldn't permit carving up the house into smaller rooms either, even if the plan was for a "lockdown" conversion to exploit benefit rules. - you owe rent to the intermediate landlord. The rest is totally irrelevant

As he's issued a s.8 already he can go down that route straight anyway.
  • Lost_Property
    Options
    You're both missing the point of my last question. Yes he CAN take me to court. For some reason he won't though. So if I instigate it myself does the S8 possession aspect drop out of the equation? I'm expecting the money claims and counter-claims to roughly net off.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    You're both missing the point of my last question. Yes he CAN take me to court. For some reason he won't though. So if I instigate it myself does the S8 possession aspect drop out of the equation? I'm expecting the money claims and counter-claims to roughly net off.

No, why would it drop out?

You can sue for harassment, and possibly get a small amount of money.

He can still evict you.

Not sure why you're finding this difficult.
  • Lost_Property
    Options
    Well his lease expires soon and he hasn't applied for a court date, plus I think the S8 was defective so by the time another is issued and a court date set he won't necessarily still be the LL- that was the point of my original question. If it DID go to a possession hearing the arrears-minus-counter-claim would roughly balance, so possession would no longer be mandatory. But if I make my own claim for harassment, breach of contract, breach of covenant of quiet enjoyment, etc he can counter-claim the arrears but will the S8 feature (if not defective anyway) or does it need it's own specific hearing? Sorry - I hope I've explained my question better. Regard the arrears as strategic and temporary.

The point of the exercise is that if I didn't have the arrears I'd just be trying to claim from somebody with a history of not paying bills and a collection of CCJs, so I'd just end up losing money instead of being up by the amount of rent saved (minus costs). There wouldn't be any arrears if he wasn't dodgy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure