IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Disabled space/scotland

Options

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be careful. Some of my MSE parking colleagues on here can sometimes be a bit cavalier. It's not always an "ignore regardless" up there.

Sometimes, PPCs can do court in Scotland. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/parking-charge-scotland-24000-ignoring-notices-warning-a7665346.html
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Be careful. Some of my MSE parking colleagues on here can sometimes be a bit cavalier. It's not always an "ignore regardless" up there.

Sometimes, PPCs can do court in Scotland. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/parking-charge-scotland-24000-ignoring-notices-warning-a7665346.html

Scaremongering nonsense. I'm sure the OP isn't going to rack up tens of thousands of pounds worth of tickets or more importantly disclose who was driving.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Who issued the ticket? I'm aware that in Scotland some disabled parking spaces, even in private car parks, are patrolled and enforced by local councils under the Disabled Persons' Parking Places (Scotland) Act 2009.

£40 also seems a bit low for the private parking cowboys we deal with on this board.

The vast majority of private spaces regulated under the DPPPSA are in the residential context, with only a tiny number in retail car parks.

And as the OP has a ticket from Parking Eye, not a local council, I think we are safe to assume this isn't one of them.

The OP also needs to remember that Blue Badges do not apply in private car parks - Its the Equality Act that matters and that applies to all suitably disabled people regardless of badge.

So a strong complaint to the store about their failing to provide a reasonable adjustment and reminding them that they are jointly and severally liable with the PPC for any breach of the Equality Act is the only way to go.
  • Johno100
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    The vast majority of private spaces regulated under the DPPPSA are in the residential context, with only a tiny number in retail car parks.

And as the OP has a ticket from Parking Eye, not a local council, I think we are safe to assume this isn't one of them.

The OP also needs to remember that Blue Badges do not apply in private car parks - Its the Equality Act that matters and that applies to all suitably disabled people regardless of badge.

So a strong complaint to the store about their failing to provide a reasonable adjustment and reminding them that they are jointly and severally liable with the PPC for any breach of the Equality Act is the only way to go.

We now know that, we didn't when I posted.
  • pogofish
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »

Nope - The reason that happened at all was because the lady concerned had actively engaged with the PPC, identified herself as the driver and effectively admitted it all.

Also, the number of tickets and sum of money concerned made it viable for the PPC to pursue it via the Sheriff Courts, instead of Small Claims but if she had not admitted to being the driver, bringing an action on either track would have been next to impossible.
  • pogofish
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    We now know that, we didn't when I posted.

True but considering just how few retail spaces there are...

I think we have only seen one or at the most two of those tickets here since the act came-in?
  • Johno100
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    True but considering just how few retail spaces there are...

I think we have only seen one or at the most two of those tickets here since the act came-in?

Best to cover all bases don't you agree?
  • Jessicarat
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the helpful answers. I’ve been on the phone to the store and was advised to call in and speak to customer services which I can’t do till Monday now but I’ll update with how I get on. They did sound sympathetic and very surprised, said it’s the first case they’ve heard of at their store!!!
  • pogofish
    Options
    I'd like to be proved wrong but the general experience on this forum is that stores customer services are utterly useless when it comes to dealing with private parking tickets as they are far too low in the food chain to actually do anything about getting tickets cancelled. Also remember that PPCs do predate on store staff as well.

Sympathy and promises mean nothing compared to a hard-copy letter of cancellation.

More normally, you should be heating the ears of someone at managerial level and do not hesitate to escalate the matter to head office or MD level if the store can't resolve it.
  • Jessicarat
    Options
    Will do pogo fish ....thank you for advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure