Spending £120 week at the pub

I've just out of the blue received a Marstons "I am Privileged" card, which gives me 20% discount on account of being a shareholder.
According to the back of a fag packet calculation I've done, if i spend £120 a week for the next two years at Marston pubs , I'll break even on my purchase losses so far (including the dividends)

I wonder how this will go down with SWMBO ?
:D

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Take her to the pub, buy her a couple of pints and see how she feels?
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ..sounds like a bargain, but regardless I would not reduce my pub spend down to that level... :)
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • AnotherJoe wrote: »
    I've just out of the blue received a Marstons "I am Privileged" card, which gives me 20% discount on account of being a shareholder.
    According to the back of a fag packet calculation I've done, if i spend £120 a week for the next two years at Marston pubs , I'll break even on my purchase losses so far (including the dividends)

Can I borrow it. just leaving for a w/e in a Marston's pub with 7 mates. Will probably claw back your £120 by tomorrow teatime.
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme); 9.6kWh US2000C Pylontech batteries + Solis Inverter installed 12/4/2022 Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:Average over 6 years = 4400 :j
  • That's s equivalent to half a shandy for you affluent Southerners isn't it?

;)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I wish I could boost your profits. My OH love Marstons Pedigree but we cant buy it here for love nor money.

Tesco and local grocery stores stopped carrying it.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    I had a few hundred worth of Mitchell's and Butlers shares for several years just for the shareholder perks - even really small holdings qualified for a book of 20% vouchers every year end for the year ahead.

They have lots of sub brands including a few good pubs near me, and included the drinks bill as well as the meals - so was easy enough to get a few friends together in pubs or restaurants we liked every so often, probably saved the whole cost of the shares over the course of two or three years.

I did end up selling them at a loss when tidying up some small holdings and moving broker last year, but at least that will reduce the CGT on investments that performed better! (clouds having silver linings...)

At some levels of investment the perks can form a reasonable part of total return. I have some decent EIS and VCT shareholder benefits across a few companies, but it does have to be something you were already going to buy to count it as 'savings' :)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    AnotherJoe wrote: »

Isn't the discount just applicable for food and accommodation, not drinks though ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure