PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer but name on parents house

Hi

I want to purchase my own house but I believe Im not entitled to first time buyer isa as my name is no my parents house.

Can I take my name off to get a first time buyer ISA?

or

Are there any other governement schemes I can use to get on ladder?

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    First Q, no. I think its a misleading term really it should be first time owner. Why is your name on your parents house? Inheritance? If so how long has it been so?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    1) You own a property. So no.

2) Help To Buy
    https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/equity-loan/eligibility/
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    cattmcb wrote: »

Are there any other governement schemes I can use to get on ladder?

To all intents and purposes you are already on the ladder.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Also be aware you may be subject to the second home stamp duty charge if you remain on your parents house, depending on the share you own in it.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This sort of thing often comes back to bite you in the bum, on this occasion it has
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    G_M wrote: »
    1) You own a property. So no.

2) Help To Buy
    https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/equity-loan/eligibility/

Name would need to be off the parents house before Help to Buy would be an option.
  • Oh dear - the SDLT issue is going to bite pretty hard too!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • cattmcb wrote: »
    I have had my name on the house for less than a year for inheritance reasons, both myself and my brother. Bit of a regret really wish Id purchased my own property first

Was this a DIY job?

You really should have had the implications of such schemes explained to you had you used a competent solicitor or a financial adviser.

If it was to avoid IHT then a financial adviser could have provided alternative options; and been a good spend if the asset levels exceed IHT levels as they stand at present.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    cattmcb wrote: »
    I have had my name on the house for less than a year for inheritance reasons, both myself and my brother. Bit of a regret really wish Id purchased my own property first

Pound to a penny these inheritance reasons are ineffective as well (amateur hour tax avoidance I'm guessing?)
    Yep, add 3% to the price of the house you buy unless your share of your parents house is worth less than £40k.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It doesn't matter even if your name is taken off it now. That ISA requires that you have never owned a property or share of a property, whether currently or historically.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport