We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

wobbly fence

Options
MSaxp
MSaxp Posts: 208 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi,

We have a wobbly wooden panel fence (3 rotten posts below ground level). Fence is 10 years old, posts are bog standard square wooden posts (maybe 10x10cm)

Can we just replace the posts, without replacing the panels? I kind of like the aged look of the panels.

If yes, can you give me an indicative cost, inlcuding labour? We are in the south west. Would £200-300 do it, or am i way off?

Thank you,

Mike

Comments

• alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Easy fix with a concrete repair spur. Dig a hole next to the post, bolt the spur to the post and concrete in place. You can then paint the spur to match the post.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Fence-Concrete-Repair-Spur---75mm-x-100mm-x-1200mm/p/542503

Had a couple done in the south east last year £120 all in.
  • MSaxp
    Options
    thank you. What do you use to dig the cement out? I doubt a mattock would work
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    Options
    Personnel I would replace the posts. I seen a tip how to remove old posts with concrete on youtube using a car jack or trolley jack

Last time I removed old post I did it manually but I definitely give this a try next time.

Its very easy to put wooden posts in with postcrete later
  • MSaxp
    Options
    Thank you. Any idea of the cost involved? Wouldn't want to do it myself
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Personnel I would replace the posts. I seen a tip how to remove old posts with concrete on youtube using a car jack or trolley jack

Last time I removed old post I did it manually but I definitely give this a try next time.

Its very easy to put wooden posts in with postcrete later
    No harm in giving it a try, but the post in the video wasn't in concrete.

I use a Screwfix £50 SDS demolition drill, which has paid for itself over and over in the last few years. Still takes time if the post is well supported.

Postcrete is convenient, but this is MSE, and for the price of a few sticks you can do the same job at 1/4 of the price with a dry mix.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MSaxp wrote: »

If yes, can you give me an indicative cost, inlcuding labour? We are in the south west. Would £200-300 do it, or am i way off?
    I'm in the South West and £200 buys me more than a day's work, but this isn't a posh area.

I'd say £30 labour per post + the posts + concrete + travel.

£200 would be over the top here in the country, but it might cost you that in town. Don't pay £300!
  • MSaxp
    Options
    ok, i guess i will ask for a quote before getting my SDS drill out (i will still need a chisel bit).
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MSaxp wrote: »
    thank you. What do you use to dig the cement out? I doubt a mattock would work

The person who did it used an electric powered breaker to remove the existing concrete then fit the posts and re concreted in position.
    Took less than an hour per post.
  • MSaxp
    Options
    I was quoted £50 per post, which sounds reasonable to me.

Thank you all for the advice.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family